Fresh Orange Jelly Recipe:
Yields 6 portions | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Total time: 25 mins
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Desserts
3 large juicy sweet Oranges(approx 1 cup juice)
1/2 cup Water
3-4 tbsp Sugar or to taste
1/2 tsp Lemon juice
5 gms(2 tsp) Agar Agar(flakes or powder)
- Wash and cut the Oranges into halves and using a hand juicer extract the juice by taking care that the orange shells are not broken.I passed it through a sieve to remove the fibers and seeds collected. Measure the juice, it should be approx 1 cup.
- Scrape out the fibers from the oranges ,discard the fibers and arrange the orange cups in a muffin pan.
- Cut the agar agar flakes and soak it in half cup of water for 10-15 mins and boil it until the agar agar melts completely and comes to a rolling boil.
- Add sugar to the agar agar solution and let it melt nicely.
- Now add the extracted orange juice to it and add lemon juice and mix and cook for a minute and remove it form heat.
- Pour it in the prepared orange cups or jelly molds and leave them undisturbed until set or approx 30 mins.
- Refrigerate it for a couple of hours and then cut the orange cups into wedges.
Serve them cold. You can eat them as it is or use in your puddings and custards.
- You can use canned orange juice too, but adjust the sugar quantity accordingly.
- Instead of Agar agar you can use 1 tsp of Gelatine in the recipe.
- The addition of lemon juice is optional in the recipe but it elevates the taste of the jelly.
- This recipe yields a slightly firm jelly.If you want a soft jelly you can increase the water quantity to 1 cup, in total 500 ml of liquid(water and orange juice) for 5 gms of Agar Agar.
- You can use fruit juices like mango, grapes, litchi, pineapple,watermelon, mosambi etc to make the respective flavor jellies.
- You can even add tiny bits of fresh fruits to the mould while setting the jelly, it adds a nice bite to the jelly.
Technorati Tags: fresh orange jelly, orange jelly recipe, jelly recipe using fresh fruit juice, kids recipes, kids corner, kids desserts