I have posted lots of stuffed vegetable recipes with Brinjals,Tindora,Poblano Peppers and Bitter gourds.I have a special liking towards the stuffed vegetables as I just love to eat them with rice.If you are like me you must check out my other stuffed vegetable recipes like Vankaya Ullipaya Karam , Andhra style stuffed mirch, Dondakaya Ulli Karam, Stuffed Karela, Kakarakaya Ulli Karam. All these stuffed vegetables makes a nice combo with rice and can be even served as a side dish with sambar or dal or rasam rice.
10-12 baby Brinjals/Eggplants
1/2 cup grated fresh Coconut (or even coconut pieces of 2/3 cup approx)
a small bunch of Coriander leaves(approx 1 cup)
4-5 Green chillies
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Tamarind pulp
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
10-12 Curry leaves
a pinch of Asafoetida
- Mark a cross and cut through the 3/4th portion of brinjals and take care that you would not cut them into pieces.Drop them in a salted water for 10 mins,this way it will remove the bitterness if any in the brinjals.
- Grind coconut pieces(or grated coconut),coriander leaves,cumin seeds,green chillies,salt and tamarind pulp to a very coarse mix.Do not grind for long,just grind it enough to get a coarse mixture.
- Stuff the eggplants with the ground mixture liberally and keep them aside.
- You can follow any of the two methods which I mention below to make these stuffed eggplants.
- option-1: Heat oil in a small cooker and crackle mustard seeds and add curry leaves and asafoetida and add stuffed baby eggplants and fry for a minute or two and sprinkle water -roughly 2-3 tbsp and add a generous pinch of salt on the eggplants and give a stir and cover it with lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle on medium-high flame.Let the pressure drops off on its own.Open the cooker and check if any water is residing,if there is any water content switch on the stove and cook for 2 minutes on high flame with the lid open until water evaporates.
- option-2:Heat oil in a wide kadai and crackle mustard seeds and add curry leaves and asafoetida and add stuffed baby eggplants and fry for 3-4 minutes.Add a generous pinch of salt on the eggplants and give a stir and cover it with a deep lid and pour water and in the lid and let the eggplants cook with the steam produced in this manner over low flame.It takes roughly 12-15 mins.Keep checking in between and also stir once in a while.If the water evaporates in the lid add some more water to it,otherwise the eggplants will get burnt.
Serve them hot with hot rice,ghee and papad.You can serve it as a side dish for rasam,sambar and dal rice.
- You can add the ingredients according to your requirements.You can even increase the quantity of coriander leaves in the stuffing if you want.Also adjust spicyness according to that.
- The same stuffing can be used for Ladies finger,in that case you need to follow the option-2 for cooking.You cannot use the pressure cooker method for ladies finger,it will become sticky and soft.