One can prepare schezwan sauce before and keep it ready. Once you have all the preparation work done you can toss the noodles in no time. I always love to watch how they toss in such high flames in restaurants, it adds a nice smoky flavour to the dishes.Chinese dishes tastes best when it is served piping hot and slightly spicy, one can adjust the amount of sauce according to the personal preferences.
If you are interested check out other Indo-Chinese recipes in my blog.
Schezwan Vegetable Noodles Recipe:
Prep time:15 mins | Cooking time:10 mins | Total time: 25 mins
Cuisine: Indo-Chinese | Category: Noodles - Main Course
1 pack(200 gms) Vegetarian Hakka Noodles
1/3 cup Schezwan Sauce
1 Onion, finely sliced
1" Ginger, julienne into thin strips
3-4 Garlic pods, finely chopped
1/4 tsp freshly ground Black pepper/White pepper
1 tsp dark Soya sauce
1 tsp white Vinegar
2 tbsp Olive oil
2 tbsp Sesame oil
Salt to taste
1 cup finely shredded Cabbage, length wise
1 big Carrot, julienne into thin strips
1 Capsicum, julienne into thin strips
12-15 French beans, thinly sliced lenth wise
6-8 Spring onions, whites-sliced thin;greens-finely chopped
- Bring 7-8 cups of water to a boil in a pan and add salt and one tsp of sesame oil to it and add hakka noodles and cook according to the instructions. The noodles should hold its shape and firm to bite, this process should take 8-10 mins. Keep an eye at the end so that the noodles will not become soggy.
- Drain the noodles in a colander and pour cold water over it and wash the starch completely from the cooked noodles, this helps in retaining non-sticky noodles.
- Heat olive oil and sesame oil in a big wok over a high flame and then add ginger strips and chopped garlic and saute it well.
- Add finely sliced onion, spring onion whites and shredded cabbage and fry in high flame.
- Add julienne carrots, beans and fry well until they are half cooked. Take care that it would not loose the crunch of vegetables, they should be firm to bite.
- Add capsicum strips to it and toss it again.
- Add schezwan sauce, pepper powder, soya sauce, vinegar and fry for a minute. Add salt and do remember that the sauces already have some salt so do not add more salt.
- Add cooked noodles and chopped spring onion greens and toss well until it is mixed properly and toss on high flame for 2-3 mins until the noodles are piping hot. Toss it continuously so that they would not stick to bottom.
Serve it hot with any manchurian gravy side dish or tomato sauce.
- The entire process of sauteing would be done under 8-10 mins, so be quick while sautéing the vegetables and noodles and also take care not to loose the crunchiness of vegetables.
- You can use white pepper powder or black pepper powder and it is preferred to use freshly ground black pepper in the recipe.
- Be liberal in using oil as it helps the noodles not to turn sticky and in Chinese cooking it is always advisable to use more oil.
- I have used olive oil and sesame oil in the recipe as it gives a nice flavor to noodles.If you do not have olive oil in hand the best substitute for olive oil is sesame oil in Chinese cooking as sesame oil is primarily used in Chinese cooking as the oil itself has nutty flavor which enhances the taste of Chinese dishes.
- In Chinese cooking ajinamoto(tasting salt) is added for extra taste,I do not use it in my cooking and hence not mentioned in the recipe. If you are using it, add 1/2 tsp of ajinamoto while adding salt and sauces to the wok.