- Avarekalu Akki Tari Uppittu | Rice Rava Upma with Flat Beans
- Godhuma Rava Upma/Lapsi Rava Upma
- Kayi Biyyam Uppindi / Coconut-Rice Upma
- Kharabath..Bramhins Coffee Bar Style
- Multigrain Upma | Multigrain Sprouts Upma
- Pulusu Upma | Tangy Tamarind Upma
- Sooji Upma/Upittu/Rawa Upma
- Masala Upma
- Rava Vangibath
Serves 2 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Breakfast
1 cup Ragi rawa
1 large Onion,sliced
1/2 cup finely chopped vegetables(carrots,beans,capsicum,peas)
3-4 Green chillies,slit
2-3 tbsp grated fresh Coconut
2 tbsp chopped fresh Coriander
a sprig of Curry leaves
2 tbsp Groundnuts
1 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tbsp Chana dal
2 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2-3 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Ghee
- Dry roast ragi rawa(sooji) in a kadai until the nice aroma starts from it.Remove it from the pan and let it cool.You can even roast rawa in a tsp of ghee which also gives a nice flavor to upma.
- Heat oil in a thick aluminium kadai(which is ideal for making upma) or non-stick kadai and crackle mustard seeds.Add chana dal,ground nuts and urad dal and roast until they turn golden brown.
- Add slit green chillies and curry leaves and fry them until they wilt.Add sliced onions and fry them until they are pink in color.
- Add finely chopped vegetables to it and fry well for 3-4 mins until the vegetables are partially cooked.
- Mean while boil 3 cups of water(1c rawa:3c water) in another vessel until it reaches the boiling point.
- Pour the hot boiling water into the upma kadai where onions and vegetables are fried and let it boil again.Add required amount of salt to it.
- Now pour the ragi rawa with one hand and keep stirring with another hand using a ladle,make sure you make this process very quickly otherwise you will end up having lumpy upma.
- Once everything is mixed,keep the lid on and cook it on low flame for 2-3 mins.
- Add ghee,coriander,grated coconut and lemon juice to it and mix well.
- Cover it and let it sit for 4-5 mins before you serve.
Serve it hot with some boondi/chips/cucumber and coconut chutney.
- Roasting the rawa ensures that the upma will not become sticky and also gives a nice flavor,so do not skip this step.
- Boiling the water separately and adding it to upma is also another key step to get nice and soft upma.
- If you want the upma to be very soft add 1c rawa:3c water,if you want it bit dry then add it in the ratio of 1c rawa:2 1/2 c water.
- Instead of ragi rawa you can use bansi(kesar) rawa or regular rawa or lapsi rava and follow the same recipe.
- For a Vegan version avoid ghee in the recipe.