Dondakaya fry most of the time which is my favorite,one can prepare Dondakaya Poriyal(kura) with Coconut or Dondakaya Ullipaya Karam which tastes delicious too. If you want to try something new you can even try the Maharasthrian style Masale Bhaat which itself is a complete meal.Now off to the recipe.
- Beerakaya Pottu Pacchadi/Ridgegourd Peel Chutney
- Dosakaya(Andhra Cucumber) Pacchadi
- Chintakaya Pandumirapakaya Pacchadi | Tamarind Redchili Chutney
- Gongura Pacchadi with Green Chillies
- Gongura Pacchadi with Red Chillies
- Kobbari(Coconut) Pacchadi for Rice
- Mamidikayi-Kobbari Pacchadi/Mango-Coconut Pacchadi
- Nalleru Pacchadi | Pirandai(Adamant Creeper) Thuvaiyal
- Nellikai Pacchadi | Usirikaya Pacchadi with Red Chillies
- Radish leaves(Mullangi akula) Pacchadi
- Talimpu Gongura | Noone Gongura
- Usirikaya Pacchadi(with Green Chillies)
Serves 3-4 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: Andhra | Category: Side dish - Pacchadi(Chutney) for Rice
200 gms Ivygourd/Dondakaya (20-25 pieces)
3-4 Green chilies(or Red chilies)
2-3 Garlic pods,optional
1/2 tsp Tamarind paste
1 tsp Chana dal
1.5 tbsp Urad dal
3/4 tsp Cumin seeds
2 tsp Oil
1 tsp Oil/Ghee
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
5-6 Curry leaves
1 broken Red chili
a pinch of Asafoetida
- Wash, trim both the sides of Ivy gourd and cut them into thin roundels and keep them ready.
- In a kadai heat 1 tsp oil an add chana dal, urad dal and cumin seeds and fry until the dals turn slight red in color.
- Add green chilies(or red chilies) and garlic pods and fry until the chilies wilt.Remove the mixture into a plate and let it cool.
- Grind the roasted dals ,chilies and garlic mixture to a fine powder.
- In the same kadai heat oil and add sliced ivy gourd roundels and fry for 5-7 mins until they are 3/4 th cooked.If you are using whole tamarind add it now and cook for a minute to soften it else you can add it during grinding if you are using tamarind pulp.Let it cool.
- To the ground spice powder add the fried ivy gourd pieces and grind it in whipper mode to a coarse paste.Remove the mixture into a serving bowl.
- Heat oil(or ghee) in a small tadka pan and crackle mustard seeds and add urad dal,curry leaves, red chili and asafoetida and fry until the dal turns red in color.Add the tempering on top of the pacchadi and mix it gently and keep it covered.
Serve it with hot steamed rice,ghee and fryums.
- You can use red chilies instead of green chilies. You can even skip garlic if you do not like it.
- You can follow the same process to make other pacchadi varieties like Brinjal Pacchadi, Bottle gourd Pacchadi, Ridge gourd Pacchadi, Ladies finger Pacchadi, Cabbage Pacchadi and other vegetables and greens too.