Green chutney or Nimmakaya Karam, it tastes delicious.
Whenever I have Pesarattu batter I usually make these punugulu as evening snack as it is very quick to prepare and also I like the slightly sour taste of the fritters because of the fermented batter, but one can prepare with freshly ground batter too.These punugulu can also be added to your regular tomato based gravy and can be served with rice or roti, they taste nice too.If you are interested you can check out other Bonda/Punugulu recipes Punugulu/Dosa Batter Fritters, Saggubiyyam Bonda/Sago Bonda.
Also check out other tea time deep fried snacks:
- Alasandula(Lobia) Vada, Corn Vada
- Raw Banana Bajji , Eggplant and Okra Bajji
- Babycorn Pakora, Cabbage Pakora ,Oats Pakora, Onion Pakoda
- Maddur Vada, Masala Vada, Mixed Dal Ambode
Pesara Punugulu Recipe | Moong Dal Fritters:
Serves 3-4 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins + Soaking time
Cuisine: Andhra | Category: Snacks
1 cup Split Green Moong dal or Whole Green Moong(Pesalu)
1-2 tbsp Rice flour
3-4 Green chillies
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp Coriander leaves, chopped
5-6 Curry leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp Cumin seeds,optional
Salt to taste
Oil, to deep fry
- Soak split green moong dal for 2-3 hrs or whole green moong for 5-6 hours. Wash the dal and grind it with ginger, green chilies and salt to a smooth paste.
- Heat the oil in a kadai for deep frying.
- Beat the ground mixture nicely for 2-3 mins until fluffy. This step ensure that you get nice and fluffy fritters.
- Add rice flour,chopped onion, curry leaves, coriander leaves, cumin seeds to the beaten up batter and mix nicely.
- Once the Oil is hot drop a small portion(1 tsp roughly) of batter using your fingers and repeat until you drop 7-8 fritters in the oil.
- Fry them until they turn golden brown on medium flame and you can turn them in between to ensure even frying. You can add more fritters depending on the size of kadai and the quantity of oil.
Serve them hot with Green Chutney or Nimmakaya Karam along with a cup of tea/coffee and Enjoy !
- You can use Pesarattu atta to make these punugulu. In that case add finely chopped green chilies and ginger to the batter.You can add 1-2 tbsp of rice flour or sooji to get crispier punugulu.
- You can even add 1 tbsp sooji to get crispier punugulu.
- This left over batter can be used to make uthappams.
- You can prepare the fritters even by using yellow moong dal by following the same recipe.