Rava Dosa, apart from Rava dosa we do prepare various instant variety dosas like Rice flour Dosa,Ragi Dosa,Wheat flour Dosa and Oats Dosa. The good thing about these dosas are that they are thin and crisp and is best eaten when hot.It is not ideal to keep these dosas for long as they turn soggy and become slightly sticky.
Check out few interesting Dosa Recipes in my blog here:
- Adai Dosa | Mixed Lentil Dosa
- Atukula Dosa/Sponge Dosa
- Brown Rice Dosa
- Chettinad Cauliflower Masala Dosa
- Davanagere Benne Dosa
- Erra Kaaram Dosa...from Rayalaseema
- Instant Oats Dosa
- Instant Oats Uthappam
- Mysore Masala Dosa
- Paper Thin Rava Dosa..Hotel Style
- Schezwan Dosa - Mumbai Street style
Instant Wheat Flour Dosa Recipe:
Yields 5-6 dosas
Prep time:5 mins | Cooking time:10 mins | Total time:15 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Breakfast
1/2 cup Wheat flour
1/4 cup Rice flour
2 tbsp fine chiroti Rava(or regular rava)
1 1/2 cups Water(see notes)
1/2 tsp Green chili paste
2 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Salt to taste
Oil,to roast dosas
- Mix wheat flour with rava,rice flour and add 1 1/2 cups of water to it and mix until no lumps are formed.
- The batter should be thin enough to pour it over the pan,it should not have spreading consistency.Keep this aside for 5-10 mins.
- Add salt, green chilli paste, chopped coriander leaves,cumin seeds and slightly crushed pepper corns to it and give a proper mix.
- Now check the consistency of batter as the rava absorbs water,check it and add more water if required to get the pouring consistency as shown in the pic.The consistency of batter should be very thin like how we do for rava dosa.
- Pour a ladle full of dosa batter from the outward base of the hot tawa in a circular motion to the center,fill the major gaps in between.But do not try to fill all the small gaps,those gaps helps in making the dosa more crispier.This is a very important step in making these kind of oats dosa.The crispyness depends on the way you pour the batter on the tava and the flame you manage while cooking the dosa.
- Pour 1 tbsp oil approx over it and cover it with a lid.(No need to add more oil if using Non stick pan).
- Let it initially cook on medium flame for 1-2 mins and remove the lid and increase the flame later and cook for another 2 mins until you see brown/red patches.(No need to turn the dosa).But do not try to remove the dosa in between while it is roasting.We should remove it only when you are sure that the dosa is perfectly roasted.
- Remove it from the pan and serve it directly and do not drop them in hot boxes.It should be served on to the plate immediately to enjoy the flavor and crispiness of the dosa.
- Reduce the flame for one minute and start prepare the next dosa.Do not pour the batter on high flame.Always stir the batter before preparing the next dosas.
Serve it hot right from the pan and on to the plate with Coconut chutney/Onion chutney/Tomato chutney/Sambar or any accompaniment of your choice.
- The addition of chiroti rava is optional but it makes the dosa crispy, in case you don't get it use regular upma sooji for it.
- I added 1 1/2 cups of water to the batter to get the desired consistency.However it depends on the kind of rava we used,so feel free add extra water(up to 2 tbsp or 1/4 cup) depends on the required consistency.