Eggplant Pasta or Vangibath where as the big eggplants(which we use for Baingan Bharta) or long Japanese Eggplants are used for Baingan Bharta or this Begun Bhaja.I like Brinjal based dishes very much and I like it in any form - simple stir fry or gravy or dry curry or rice or pasta or bharta.
- Eggplant Pakora with Chili Garlic Stuffing
- Rava Vangibath, Vangi Poha, Vangibath
- Brinjal-Soya Chunks Curry, Brinjal Stir fry-with Curry powder
- Bagara Baingan, Bharli Vangi, Kashmiri Dahi Baingan
- Vankaya Kobbari Karam, Vankaya Kothimeera Karam, Vankaya Ullipaya Karam
- Brinjal Sambar, Raw Mango-Brinjal Dal
- Eggplant Pasta
If you are interested check out Bengali style Vegetable Chops.
Serves 2 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Total time: 20 mins
Cuisine: Bengali | Category: Side dish(Dry Curry)
1 large Eggplant(Bharta waala Baingan or Japanese Eggplants)
1 tbsp Rice flour
3/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Red chili powder
Salt, to taste
Mustard Oil/Any other Oil, to fry
- Wash and cut the aubergines into 1/2" roundels or of your desired size.Put them in water for 7-8 mins.This helps in removing the bitterness if any from the eggplants. Remove them and wipe them using a kitchen towel.
- Meanwhile in a broad plate add rice flour, turmeric powder, red chili powder, salt and 2 tsp oil and everything nicely. You can skip rice flour at this step and dip the marinated eggplants later in it before frying.
- Now apply this mixture to the sliced eggplants on both the sides and let them marinate for 10 mins.
- Heat a flat tawa and add 1-2 tbsp mustard oil(or any other oil) and spread it and place the marinated eggplant roundels in a single layer.
- Let hem fry for 5-6 mins on medium flame and turn them gently to the other side and fry for another 5 mins. Do not overcrowd the pan if you have more eggplant slices, you can do in batches or in two pans simultaneously.
Serve them hot as a side dish for Rotis/Parathas or Rice.
- Rice flour can be mixed along with the spices or one can dip marinated slices in it before you fry eggplants.
- If you like tangy and more chatpata add amchur powder and garam masala along with the other spices.
- You can skip rice flour all together if you want.
- You can also dip the marinated slices in fine sooji for crispy begun bhaja.
- Mustard oil adds a nice flavor to the eggplants, if you like it do not skip it.