Pasta is one of the easiest options I would look for when I am pressed for time or if I am lazy to cook something elaborate.I must say that I am lucky that DH prefers the simple kind of pastas like Aglio E Olio or a simple pesto based Pasta than the heavy sauce and cheese loaded pastas.Hence making pastas is easy for me. Infact I have also started preferring these simple yet flavorful pasta.
As I find Aglio E Olio bit dry for my liking, I usually serve it with grilled vegetables or eggplants.The soft and fleshy eggplants make a nice combination with the pasta and we started liking it and slowly I turned out the entire dish into a single one and that is how the Eggplant pasta started featuring at my place.
In case you are interested check out other Pasta recipes here -
- Basil Pesto with Spiral Pasta
- Macaroni with Roasted Vegetables and Herbs in White Sauce
- Pasta Salad
- Spinach Pesto Penne Pasta
- Sundried Tomato Pesto Pasta
Eggplant Pasta Recipe:
Prep time:10 mins | Cooking time:20 mins | Total time:30 mins
Cuisine: Italian | Category: Pasta - Main Course
2 cups Pasta(of any shape)
2-3 long thin Purple Eggplants
1 Onion,finely chopped
6-8 Garlic cloves,finely chopped
1/2 tsp Pepper powder,freshly ground
1/2 tsp Red chili flakes
1 tsp Mixed Italian Herbs
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1 tbsp Extra virgin Olive oil
Salt to taste
- Bring water to a boil with salt and add a tsp of olive oil in a big pot add pasta and cook for 8-10 mins until it is al dente or follow the instructions on your package.Drain the pasta and keep it aside.
- Meanwhile chop eggplants into small cubes or cut them into thin 1" length pieces and drop them in salted water for 10 mins.This will remove the bitterness of eggplants and also would not let it turn black.Squeeze slightly the extra water and pat dry it.You can either grill them in oven with some olive oil and salt for 15-20 mins until done or saute it in olive oil in a pan until they are soft and cooked.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add finely chopped garlic and fry until it turns slight red in color and then add chopped onions and fry well until they turn translucent and turn slight pink.
- Add grilled or sauteed eggplant cubes/pieces and fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add red chili flakes, mixed herbs, pepper powder and salt and fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add cooked and drained pasta to it and mix well until the mixture coats the pasta.
Serve it hot and drizzle on top with Extra virgin olive oil and shaved Parmesan cheese.I served it with Garlic Bread and lemonade.
- You can use herbs of your choice like fresh basil or oregano in the recipe instead of mixed dried herbs.
- If you like you can add Parmesan cheese into the pasta while it is on heat.
- Chopped canned tomatoes or blanched,peeled and chopped tomatoes also can be added along with onions in the recipe.