kadi too.There are various versions of Khichdi - it can be prepared with toor dal or moong dal.with or with out vegetables.
- Bisi Bele Bath -Truly Karnataka Style
- Ven Pongal | Ghee Pongal
- Pulagam Pacchadi Recipe
- Pappu Biyyam/Chana dal Rice
- Sambar Sadam
Palak Khichdi Recipe:
Serves:3-4 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time: 45 mins
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Mains - One Pot Meal
1 cup Rice(Ponni or Sona masuri)
1/2 cup split Green Moong dal(Pottu Pesarapappu)
1 cup small diced Vegetables(Carrot,Beans,Potatoes,Peas)
1 Onion, roughly chopped
2 Garlic pods, finely chopped
1 tsp Coriander powder
3/4 tsp Cumin powder
Salt to taste
3 tbsp Ghee(or 2 tbsp ghee and 1 tbsp Oil)
1 medium bunch Spinach(Palak),chopped
2 Green chilies
3/4" Ginger, chopped
7-8 Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2" Cinnamon Stick
- Chop all the vegetables, onions,garlic,ginger and keep them ready.Soak split moong dal and Rice separately for half an hour.
- Grind chopped spinach, green chilies and ginger to a fine paste.
- Heat ghee in the cooker and add the ingredients mentioned under tempering - cloves, cinnamon,cumin seeds, curry leaves and asafoetida in the order and fry until the cumin seeds sizzle.
- Add chopped garlic and onion and fry nicely until they turn translucent.Add all the chopped vegetables and green peas and fry them for 3-4 mins.
- Now add the ground spinach puree and fry nicely for another 3-4 mins.Add soaked and washed moong dal and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add coriander, cumin powder and salt and fry for another couple of minutes and then add soaked and washed rice and give a gentle stir.
- Add 4.5-5.5 cups of water based on the consistency you need. If you want it soft and slightly liquidy use 5.5 cups of water.
- Let water come to a boil and then close the pressure cooker and cook it for 4 whistles.
- Once the pressure comes down check the consistency of khichdi. If you still want it watery you can boil some water in another vessel and add it to khichdi and boil it again for a couple of minutes.
Serve it hot with kadi/Curd,Papad and pickle.You can add some ghee on top before serving.
- The addition of vegetables is optional but I find it as a complete meal by itself and hence add vegetables to the khichdi.
- You can add Toor dal instead of split green moong dal in the recipe.
- You can also add 1/4 tsp Garam masala while adding coriander powder and all.It gives a nice taste too.As I add it in the tempering I avoid to add it again.
- I added a final tempering of finely chopped garlic and cumin seeds fried in ghee until crisp and also added a fat pinch of red chili powder and added the tempering to the khichdi before serving.Those cripsy bites of garlic in between tastes yumm.