Coming to today's post, I often make these Eggless Wholewheat Banana Pancakes and for me these taste exactly like the Banana Appam as the ingredients are almost same. In this pancake recipe, wheat flour works well and is almost a guilt free recipe especially when you make it for kids.Try them for your kids for evening snack or breakfast, they will love it for sure.
- Mangalore Buns | Deep fried Banana Buns
- Eggless Chocolate Banana Bread-low fat version
- Eggless Oatmeal Banana Muffins
- Eggless Wholewheat Banana Muffins
- Banana Bread
Serves 2 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Total time: 20 mins
Cuisine: International | Category: Breakfast
1 cup(120 gms) Wholewheat flour(or All purpose flour)
2 medium ripened Bananas, mashed
1-1.25 cups Milk( 1 cup = 240 ml)
1.5 tbsp fine Sugar( or Jaggery powder)
1 tbsp Oil (or melted Butter)
2 tsp Baking powder
1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp Salt
Oil/Butter ,to fry
- Mash the bananas and keep it aside.
- In a wide bowl add wheat flour, sugar,salt, baking powder, cinnamon powder, oil(or melted butter) and mix it nicely using a whisk.
- Make a well in the center of the wheat flour mixture add 1 cup of milk and mashed banana and mix it until it is mixed.Add more milk if necessary until you get a thick consistency of the batter which can be pourable.Do not over mix the batter,else the pancakes will not be fluffy. Leave this batter aside for 10-15 mins.
- Heat the dosa pan until it is hot and add few drops of oil and spread it nicely using a kitchen tissue.Make sure that the pan is hot(but not over heated).
- Mix the batter once and take a medium sized ladle and pour a ladle full of batter and allow it spread on its own(Do not spread). You can prepare 3-4 pancakes at a time depending on the size of your pan.Pour oil from the edges.
- Once you see the formation of bubbles/holes on the pancakes and also the edges turn slight brown turn them gently to the other side and let them cook again for a minute and remove them and stack them on a plate.
- Sprinkle few drops of water on the pan and wipe it with the tissue and proceed again to make the pancakes. This ensures that the pan does not become over heated,else you will not see evenly browned pancakes, it will result in white patches on the pancake.
Serve the pancakes with a generous drizzle of Maple Syrup or Honey, Butter(or Whipped Cream)or with a Sauce of your choice like Strawberry Coulis, Mixed Berry Coulis,Butterscotch Sauce,Chocolate Sauce, Nutella or Vanilla Sauce.You can serve with sliced bananas or fruits/berries of your choice.
Enjoy the soft and fluffy Pancakes !!
- You can use All purpose flour instead of wheat flour in the recipe or 50:50 ratio of both. If you use all purpose flour 1 cup of milk would be enough, if you use wheat flour increase the milk until you get the required consistency.
- Cinnamon powder can be replaced with Vanilla essence or Cardamom powder for Banana pancakes.
- For a VEGAN version use non dairy milk or water and use oil instead of butter in the recipe.
- Sugar can be replaced with Cane sugar or Jaggery powder for healthy version.
- It is important to maintain the temperature of the pan , it should be not very hot and should be only on medium heat to get evenly browned pancakes. If the pan is very hot the shapes of the pancakes will be distorted and also they turn in dark color.
- The consistency of the batter should be thick but should be pourable. DO NOT SPREAD the pancakes on the pan, you need to pour the batter and leave it spread by itself.
- Always use same amount of batter to get same sized pancakes.
- Do not over mix the batter,else the pancakes will become tough.
- You can avoid Bananas in the recipe and make plain eggless pancakes. You can add berries of your choice to your pancakes or you can even add grated apples instead of mashed bananas in the recipe.
- You can add chocolate chips to the batter if you like.