My mom rarely used to prepare any pumpkin dish as she does not eat this vegetable.All she used to prepare with red pumpkin is Sambar, this gravy which pairs up beautifully with chapatis/plain rice flour rotis and also she prepares the fryums using the thick pumpkin skin.After I started cooking I have learnt various recipes with pumpkin like Simple Kaddu ki Sabzi, Pumpkin Yogurt Salad, Meethi Kaddu ki Sabzi . Red pumpkin is slightly sweeter in taste and this gravy is a perfect medley of sweet,sour and richness from the coconut gravy.
Gojju is a typical Karnataka dish which is mainly spicy,sour and slightly sweet gravy. There are various vegetable Gojju recipes and also a simple Tomato Gojju which pairs beautifully with rice or chapati.Kumbalakai Gojju is one of my favorite gojju and its tastes best with Uttha Rotti or Chapati, but one can serve it with rice or roti or dosa too,it tastes equally nice. I must say that this Pumpkin Gojju is my most favorite preparation with sweet pumpkin, you need to try to believe it.
Sihi Kumbalakai Gojju Recipe:
Serves 3 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time: 40 mins
Cuisine: Karnataka | Category: Side dish for Rice/Rotis
2 cups Yellow Pumpkin,cut into 1"cubes
1 medium Onion, roughly chopped
a small sprig of Curry leaves
1.5 tsp Tamarind pulp
1 tsp Jaggery
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
a pinch of Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
1/2 cup grated fresh/frozen Coconut
2 tbsp Fried gram(Putnala Pappu/Hurigadale)
2-3 Guntur Red chillies,spicy variety
2 Byadige Red chillies
1.5 tsp Coriander seeds
3/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Oil
- Heat 1/2 tsp of oil and add coriander seeds,cumin seeds and red chillies(both the varieties) and fry them until they change the color.
- Grind the roasted ingredients with fresh grated coconut, fried gram to a smooth paste using enough water.
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds.Add curry leaves and asafoetida and fry until they wilt.
- Add the chopped onions and fry until they turn pink and then add chopped pumpkin pieces and fry nicely until the oil coats all the pieces.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and mix nicely and add 1-2 tbsp water and cover it cook until the pumpkin is 80% done.
- Now add ground paste and fry for 2-3 mins until the mixture is bit dry.
- Add 3/4 cup water to it and cook until done.Add jaggery and tamarind pulp and cook for 2-3 mins.
- The addition of jaggery enhances the taste of the pumpkin gojju and hence don't skip it.
- This gravy turns very thick as it sits and hence add enough according to the consistency you need.
- You can follow the same recipe and make Badanekayi(Eggplant) Gojju or Bendekayi (Ladiesfinger) Gojju by replacing the pumpkin with these vegetables.