Chutney recipe in my blog. Various chutney varieties can be prepared as a side dish for Idli/ dosa. While most of the times we end up making Coconut Chutney or Tomato chutney as they are the most popular accompaniments with Idli and Dosa.One can be bit creative to prepare various varieties of chutnies which include different vegetables.
Check out other Chutney recipes for Idli,Dosa in my blog:
- Capsicum(Green) Chutney, Peanut Chutney
- Coconut Chutney (with Ginger)
- Hotel Style Coconut Chutney , Red Coconut Chutney
- Mint-Coriander flavored Coconut Chutney
- Mango Ginger ( Mamidi Allam) Chutney
- Onion Chutney- ver 1, Onion Chutney (with dry coconut)
- Raw Onion Chutney(Pacchi Ulli Karam)
- Tomato Chutney, Tomato-Onion Chutney
- Tomato Kothimeera Pacchadi
Carrot Chutney Recipe:
Serves 3 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Total time: 20 mins
Cuisine: South India | Category: Accompaniments/Chutney
1 large Carrot, grated(measure 1 cup)
1/3 cup grated fresh Coconut
3 Red chilies.guntur spicy variety
2 small Garlic pods
1.5 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Tamarind pulp
Salt to taste
1 tsp Oil
5-6 Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Ghee/Oil
- Heat oil and fry chana dal and red chilies until they turn golden brown and then add garlic pods and fry and remove them with a slotted spoon and let them cool.
- Add grated carrot in the remaining oil and fry until the raw smell goes away, say for 5 mins.If you are using dry tamarind add it to the hot carrot mixture itself,it will soften.Let the carrot mixture cool down completely.
- Grind the roasted chana dal, red chillies and garlic to a powder and then add grated carrot mixture(with tamarind), grated fresh coconut, salt and grind to a smooth chutney using required amount of water.
- In a small tempering pan heat ghee(or oil) and crackle mustard seeds and then add urad dal and fry until it turns red and add curry leaves and asafoetida and then add the hot tempering to the chutney and mix well and cover it.
Serve it with hot Idli/Dosa/Paniyaram/Uthappam. You can even serve it with chapathi or use as a spread on toast.
- You can use urad dal instead of chana dal.But I prefer to use chana dal for breakfast chutney varieties.
- If you want to skip coconut you can add onion by frying it in oil along with carrot.But it tastes best with coconut.
- Garlic adds a nice flavor to the chutney,do not skip it.
- Adjust the spiciness of chutney according to your spice levels.
- If you grind this chutney bit course using less water it can be served with Rice.For this.you can add a bit of cumin seeds while roasting chana dal before grinding.