During my school and college days I used to carry various varieties of masala rice, pulavs,biriyanis, akki rotti and few breakfast items for my lunch box as they are not only easy to make one pot meals but also quite convenient to eat.Variety rices like Puliyogre,Tomato Bath,Lemon rice,Veg pulav,Peas pulav,Palak Rice,Veg biriyani,Vangibath,Bisibelebath,Carrot Rice,Capsicum rice,Garlic rice,Veg Fried rice,Jeera rice etc were the most frequent rice items which my mom used to prepare for our lunch box.These kind of variety rices when paired with raita and papad makes a perfect meal.
Today I am sharing a simple variety rice recipe - Carrot rice which is a very simple and easy one pot meal that can be prepared in less than an hour and is an ideal recipe for lunch box.I have mentioned the masaledar version of Carrot rice,if you want to make a typical south Indian version you can replace garam masala with sambar powder in the recipe.
Carrot Fried Rice Recipe:
1 cup Basmati Rice
2 large Carrots,grated
1 big Onion,finely chopped
1 tbsp Coriander leaves,for garnish
8-10 Cashew nuts
1 1/2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
1/2 tsp Garam masala
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
juice of 1/2 Lemon
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Ghee
- Wash and soak basmati rice for 10 mins and cook it in rice cooker or pressure cooker with 2 cups of water.Cool the rice completely by spreading it on a wide plate.
- Heat oil and ghee in a kadai and add cumin seeds and let them splutter and then add cinnamon and cloves and fry them.
- Add cashew nuts and fry until they turn slight red in color.
- Add sliced onions and fry them until they turn pink.Add ginger-garlic paste and fry well.
- Add grated carrots and fry until the raw smell goes away.It takes 5-6 mins approximately.
- Add turmeric powder,red chili powder,garam masala and fry the mixture nicely.
- Add cooked and cooled basmati rice,salt and mix the rice nicely.
- Add lemon juice to the rice mixture and mix well.
- Garnish with coriander.
Serve it hot with Onion-tomato Raita or Boondi raita.
- You can replace garam masala with sambar powder in the recipe for a typical south Indian style rice.
- Green peas or capsicum can also be added along with carrots in the recipe.