Today I am sharing a very simple Ladies finger curry( Bendakaya Kura) which is typically Andhra style and it goes well with plain steamed rice.You can check another version of Bhindi Curry here which is equally delicious and pairs nicely with roti/chapati.
Ladies Finger Curry | Andhra style Bendakaya Kura Recipe:
250 gms Ladies finger/Okra(Bendakaya)
1 big Onion,roughly chopped
2 small Tomatoes,finely chopped
1 tbsp Curd (optional)
2 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Cumin powder
3/4 tsp Red chili powder
a sprig of Curry leaves
2 tsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
Salt to taste
- Wash and wipe ladies fingers and pat them dry.Try to remove all the moisture from the ladies fingers,this will reduce the sliminess of the curry.
- Trim the edges and cut them into thin roundels.
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds and add urad dal and chana dal and fry for a minute.
- Add curry leaves,chopped onions and fry until they turn pink.
- Add chopped ladies finger and fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and curd and fry well.The addition of curds reduces the sliminess of okra.
- You can cook this on open flame for another 7-8 minutes,this process will also retain the green color of ladies finger after getting cooked. (or) You can cover the kadai with lid and add water over it and steam cook the curry for 10-12 minutes.In this process we might loose the green color of okra.
- Add red chili powder,coriander,salt and cumin powder and fry again for 2 minutes.
Serve it hot with Rice/Roti/Chapati.
- You can even add Garam masala in the recipe if you like.
- You can add 2-3 roughly chopped garlic pods in the recipe while sauteing onions.