6-8 small Brinjals
2 medium onions,roughly chopped
2 garlic pods(optional)
1 and 1/2 tsp red chilli powder(add according to your spice level)
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
a pinch of turmeric
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
5-6 curry leaves
1 tsp chopped coriander
salt to taste
- Wash and wipe brinjals and slit into 4 keeping the stem intact and immerse it in salted water.
- Grind onion,red chilli powder,salt,tamarind pulp,turmeric and garlic pods to a coarse paste.
- Heat 1tbsp oil in a kadai and add the ground paste and fry until the raw smell goes away(approximately 8-10 mins).Remove the paste and keep it aside.
- In the same kadai heat 1 tbsp oil and drop the brinjals carefully in the oil and fry for 2 mins.Add little salt while cooking.
- Cover it with a lid and pour some water into it and simmer the flame and let it cook for 8-10 mins until brinjals are tender and cooked.Switch off the flame and let them cool and stuff the brinjals with the fried onion mixture.
- Heat a tsp of oil in the same kadai crackle mustard seeds and curry leaves and place the stuffed brinjals back in it and add remaining onion mixture to it and fry on medium high flame for 5-6 mins until it is evenly browned.
- Garnish with coriander.
1.You can follow the same process for making Tindora/Tendli ,Bitter gourd and Lady's finger.Cook the vegetables until they are tender based on the cooking time required for it and stuff it with the mixture.
2.The onion spice mixture can be used as a chutney for dosa,it tastes very nice when spread on the dosa.