I have tasted this Pudina Peas Gravy for the first time at my aunt's place long back during one of my visits to Bangalore and it was definitely a winner recipe for me.I still remember the taste of the curry which was really refreshing and a very delicious gravy.This is a typical south Indian gravy which is really delicious and is well balanced with the sweet fresh peas spiced up in the aromatic mint gravy.It is also a perfect recipe to make on any day as the recipe does not call for any onions and garlic.There are no masalas added in the recipe too,But I do add a few cloves and cinnamon in the tempering which is optional.In Kannada this Pudina Peas gravy is called 'Hasi Batani Kaalu Gojju' where 'Hasi Batani Kaalu' stands for 'Fresh Peas' and 'Gojju' is typically a South Indian style 'Gravy'.
2 cups fresh shelled Green Peas
1 cup loosely packed fresh Mint leaves
1/2 cup loosely packed fresh Coriander leaves
1/4 cup grated fresh Coconut
7-8 Green chillies(adjust the quantity)
1 tbsp Fried gram
juice of 1/2 Lemon
a sprig of Curry leaves
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Microwave the fresh green peas for 3-4 mins with a pinch of sugar.This will make sure the peas retain their green color through out the cooking process.Drain and keep them aside.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and add green chillies and saute until you see some blisters forming on them.
- Grind mint leaves with coriander leaves,grated coconut,fried gram and fried green chillies to a smooth paste.Open the jar and keep otherwise you will loose the green color if it is closed for long.
- Heat the remaining oil in the kadai and crackle mustard seeds and add cinnamon and cloves and let them splutter.
- Add curry leaves and boiled and drained fresh green peas and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground mint masala and fry the masala for 5-6 mins until the oil leaves the edges and the raw smell disappears.
- Add 1 cup of water and salt to it and mix well and let it simmer for another 5 mins.You can cover it with lid slightly so that the gravy does not splutter outside.Do not cover the kadai/pan completely with the lid otherwise you will loose the lovely green color of the gravy.
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice to it and mix well.
- The addition of cinnamon and cloves is optional,in general we do not add it but its your wish to add it or not.
- You can add a small piece of ginger while grinding the mint paste.