Broccoli is one of my favorite vegetables which I do not miss if I go out for shopping.I like to use it in various recipes like Pasta,Salads or a simple stir fry like this and also in many Indian recipes. Broccoli stir fry goes very well with anything - pasta,rice or chapati or one can eat it as it is.
Broccoli when sauteed with garlic and a bit of pepper and chili in olive oil makes the stir fry really tasty.The only thing one should keep in mind while doing these kind of stir fries is to blanch the vegetables in a right manner so that it will not loose its crunch in the process.
Broccoli Stir fry Recipe:
1 medium Broccoli head,cut into florets
1 medium Onion,finely chopped
5-6 medium Garlic pods,finely sliced
3-4 Dry Red chillies
1/4 tsp Pepper powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Olive oil
- Cut Broccoli into florets and blanch them in hot water for 2 mins.Broccoli should be crisp and firm to touch and should not become soft.
- Cut red chillies into small pieces using kitchen scissors.
- Heat olive oil in a pan and add finely sliced garlic and fry until they turn slightly brown.
- Add chopped red chillies and finely chopped onion and fry well until they turn slight brown.
- Add broccoli florets and stir fry on high flame for 2 minutes.Make sure that the broccoli would not loose its color and crunchiness through the whole process.
- Add salt and pepper powder and give a quick stir and switch off the flame.
Serve it as a side dish with Pasta/Soup/Salad/Roti/Rice/Couscous.You can serve it with anything or it can be eaten just as it is.
- You can even skip onion in the recipe.
- You can add red chili powder instead of red chillies in the recipe.
- Nuts like walnuts,pine nuts can be added for extra crunch.