I love Dosa's with a crispy crust and soft texture on the top.This spongy Atukula dosa is compared generally to the jasmine flower because of its pure white colour and softness.This is extremely soft with a crisp crust and it just melts in the mouth .This is one fool proof recipe again from Amma's kitchen.
4 Cups Rice
1 Cup Beaten rice/Atukulu/poha
1 handful(1/4 cup approx) Urad dal
2 tsp methi(fenugreek) seeds
1/4 cup curds(optional,makes it still softer)
a pinch of Cooking soda(optional,makes the dosa porous,soft and fluffy)
- Soak urad dal,poha and methi seeds overnight or 6-7 hrs.Soak Rice also overnight.
- Grind urad dal,poha and methi seeds to a smooth fine mixture in the wet grinder ,add rice to it and grind until everything is of uniform smooth mixture.Now add dahi and salt and grind again.
- Ferment it overnight or atleast for 9-10 hrs.
- Mix cooking soda with a tbsp of water in a ladle and add to the batter and mix well nicely.The addition of cooking soda is optional but it ensures that you get soft,porous and fluffy dosas with out fail.
- Pour the batter(do not spread) on a hot tawa and pour oil from the sides and cover with a lid and cook it on medium flame and remove the lid and increase the flame to high and cook until you can see the golden brown crust formation.This process makes the dosa to be crispy and soft. Do not flip it to the other side.As we cooked the dosa by closing the lid,it is not necessary to flip it.
For a crisp paper roast dosa check my earlier post PAPER ROAST.