Biryanis are always considered special at my place be it a Vegetable Biryani or Mushroom Biryani.The preparation of Dum biryani takes a lot of time and hence I usually make it for some special occasions and I always prefer making biryani in a simple way. While its simple to make it still requires lot of preparation work including marinating mushrooms or vegetables.Yes!! you read it correctly, I marinate the mushrooms or vegetables before I make biryani.This process not only makes the vegetables/mushrooms absorb the flavours beautifully but also make the biryani more tasty.I always prepare Biryanis in large quantity so that we can eat the same for lunch as well as dinner,so it is actually worth the effort.
I have posted a Veg Dum Biryani recipe long back using a ready made biryani masala. That post always reminds me to prepare and post the Veg Dum biryani in a typical way but I plan to post them some other time.Today I am posting an aromatic one pot Mushroom Biryani recipe.Biryani makes a perfect one pot meal when served with raita and papad.
If you are interested check out my Vegetable Dum Biryani and Baby Potato Biryani recipes which I posted earlier.
Mushroom Biryani Recipe:
Prep time:45 mins | Cooking time:45 mins | Total time:1.5 hrs
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Biriyani-Main Course
1 heaped cup Basmati Rice
200 gms(12-15) white button Mushrooms
1+1 large Onions,thinly sliced
few Saffron strands,soaked in 1 tbsp milk
1" Cinnamon,torn into pieces
1 Star anise
2 Green Cardamom ,slit
1 tsp Shahi jeera
1.5 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp ghee/Butter
2 medium tomatoes
1/4 cup Mint leaves
1/4 cup Coriander leaves
3-4 Garlic pods
3-4 Green chillies
1 tsp Fennel seeds(Saunf)
3 tbsp thick Curd
2 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
1/2 tsp Home made Garam masala
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp roasted Cumin powder
a handful of Mint leaves,torn
a handful of Coriander leaves,torn
Salt to taste
- Clean mushrooms nicely,I usually rub the mushrooms with flour to remove the excess dirt and wash them and pat dry them.Trim the stalks and cut the mushrooms into 4 slices. Do not cut them very thin.
- In a big bowl whisk curd and add all the ingredients mentioned under 'to marinate' and mix nicely.
- Add sliced mushrooms to the yogurt mixture and mix gently. Let it marinate for half an hour.Give a gentle mix once in between while it is marinating.
- Grind chopped tomatoes with the rest of the ingredients mentioned under 'to grind' to a smooth paste.
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 10-15 mins. Drain the water from it and keep it ready.
- Heat oil and ghee in a kadai(or pressure cooker in case if you want to pressure cook) and add shahi jeera followed by cinnamon, cloves, slit cardamom, star anise and bay leaves and fry them for a minute.
- Add thinly sliced onion(of 1 onion thinly sliced) and fry well. You can add a pinch of sugar or salt to let them caramelize faster.
- Once they turn slight brown in color add ground paste and fry well until the masala does not stick to the pan. This would take 4-5 mins.
- Add marinated mushrooms with all the mixture and fry them for 3-4 mins until the mushrooms start leaving the water and slightly become tender. If needed saute for some more time.
- Add soaked and drained basmati rice and fry well for 2-3 mins. Do this process gently by not breaking the rice granules.
- Add saffron strands soaked in warm milk to the mixture and also enough salt. Remember that we have added some salt in the marinade,so add accordingly.
- At this point you can follow any of the following 3 methods.
- option-1:If you are using pressure cooker you can add 1 and 3/4 cups of water and pressure cook it for 1 whistle and simmer it for 5-6 mins.
- option-2:If you want to prepare in kadai add 1 and 3/4 cups of boiling water and cover it and cook for 10-12 mins until done.
- option-3:Transfer all the rice mixture into the rice cooker and add 1 and 3/4 cups of hot water and cook it until done.I always follow this process while making pulaos and biryanis as they come out perfect in rice cooker.
- Do not get tempted to open the lid immediately after it is done. Leave it for 10 mins,this helps the rice to absorb all the flavors and stay fluffy.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a kadai and deep fry sliced onions(of 1 onion thinly sliced) until they turn crisp.If you want to avoid deep frying you can even caramelize in little quantity of oil.Add 1 tsp of sugar while you are caramelizing the onions,it makes the process quicker.
- Using a fork fluff the rice gently.Add caramelized onions and gently mix.
Serve it hot with Raita and papad,I served it with Baingan Raita.
Biryani tastes best if it sits for sometime, so if you are willing to serve it later reheat it and serve.
- I used water to cook the rice in the recipe,if you wish you can even substitute half the quantity with coconut milk in the recipe.
- The addition of all the masalas and mint leaves lend a nice flavor to biryani,so do not miss them.
- Use good quality strong Garam masala,if you use store bought one increase the quantity accordingly.
- Mushrooms absorb the flavors better when marinated. So try to marinate it at least for half an hour by then you can finish other preparation process.
- In order to clean mushrooms you can remove the thin layer over the mushrooms using a sharp knife or you can even rub the mushrooms with maida or rice flour to remove the excess dirt. Always wipe the mushrooms with a dry towel before it is added to the recipe, this way the mushrooms will not shrink much.
If you are interested check out other Mushroom recipes in my blog.