Though I prepare mushrooms often I never got to post any recipe with mushrooms in my blog.I started to use mushrooms lately in my cooking now it has turned to be one of our favorites for its soft and meaty texture.Mushrooms can be widely used in making pulaos, briyanis, curries, gravies, stir fries, stuffed mushrooms, pastas, cutlets etc. Today I am posting Chettinad Mushroom Masala which is really an aromatic and spicy gravy which complements really well with steamed rice or Kerala parottas.
Mushroom Chettinad Masala Gravy:
Recipe Source: Nita Mehta
200 gms Button Mushrooms
6-8 Black pepper corns,crushed coarsely
1 Onion,finely chopped
3 Tomatoes,finely chopped
6-8 Garlic pods
1 tbsp Poppy Seeds(Khus Khus)
2 tbsp Cashewnuts
3 tbsp Curry leaves
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
juice of 1/2 Lemon
Salt to taste
to roast spices together:
1 tbsp Oil
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 cup grated fresh Coconut
1 tsp Fennel seeds
1 tsp Coriander Seeds
3-4 Red chillies
3 Green Cardamoms,remove the seeds
1" Cinnamon stick
- Clean mushrooms nicely,I usually rub the mushrooms with maida to remove the excess dirt and wash them and pat dry them.Trim the stalks and cut the mushrooms into halves.
- Soak Poppy seeds and cashew nuts in half cup of warm water for 15 mins.
- Heat 1 tbsp Oil in a pan and roast all the spices together on low heat till fragrant for about 2-3 mins and remove them and cool the spices.
- Grind the roasted spices along with ginger,garlic,soaked cashewnuts and poppy seeds to a very smooth paste.Add required amount of water while grinding.
- Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a kadai and stir fry onions till they turn slight brown in color and add curry leaves to them.
- Add the ground masala and saute for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes,turmeric powder,salt and red chili powder.Cook fro 5-7 mins till the tomatoes get well blended and the oil separates from the gravy.
- Add mushrooms and stir fry for 5 mins.
- Add 1 cups of water and add chopped coriander and give the gravy a boil.
- Simmer the gravy and cook on reduced heat for 5 mins till the gravy is thickened.
- Sprinkle crushed black pepper corns and add lemon juice to the gravy.
Serve it hot with steamed rice/Chapati/Kerala Parottas/Pulaos.
- In order to clean mushrooms you can remove the thin layer over the mushrooms using a sharp knife or you can even rub the mushrooms with maida or rice flour to remove the excess dirt.Always wipe the mushrooms with a dry towel before it is added to the recipe,this way the mushrooms will not shrink much.
- This is a very aromatic and slightly spicy recipe.Adjust the red chillies and pepper accordingly.