Idli is the most common breakfast among South Indian households, but eating the same plain Idli everytime is quite boring right?How about turning the regular Idli to something interesting with a tiny bit of effort? Today I am posting a version of Idli called Stuffed Idli- where a south Indian style potato curry is stuffed in between spoonfuls of Idli batter and steamed together.You can even call it as Idli Sandwich.You can say this is relatively similar to Masala Dosa where potato masala is stuffed in dosa, the same way we are going to stuff our idlis with potato masala.This is a simple yet delicious recipe which can be prepared even for parties.I have prepared this many times for my guests and the concept itself got good reviews.
Also check out other variations of our regular Idli here.
You can use either Idli batter which is made up of Idli rawa or Idli batter made up of Idli rice,both batters work nicely for this recipe. One can be experimental with the variety of fillings like mixed vegetable too-I would post this version some time later. Today, let's see how to make this simple Potato stuffed Idli.
Stuffed Idli | Idli Sandwich Recipe:
yields 12-14 Idlis
Prep time:10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Breakfast
3 cups Idli batter(links follows)
1 cup Potato curry(recipe follows)
a pinch of cooking soda
Idli batter recipe:
for Potato stuffing:
2 large Potatoes,boiled
1/3 cup boiled fresh/frozen Green Peas
1 medium Onion ,finely chopped
3-4 Green chillies, chopped fine
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
2 tbsp Coriander leaves, finely chopped
8-10 Curry leaves, finely chopped
salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
to prepare potato stuffing:
- Mash the peeled and boiled potatoes and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan,crackle mustard seeds and fry chana dal,urad dal till brown.
- Add chopped green chillies,curry leaves and onions and fry until they turn pinkish in color.
- Add boiled fresh/frozen peas and fry well.
- Add turmeric,salt and mashed potato to it and give a nice stir and cook it for a couple of minutes.
- Add coriander to it and mix properly and keep it aside to cool down.
- Make small gooseberry sized balls out of the mixture and flatten them and keep aside.
to prepare stuffed Idlis:
- Take out the required portion of Idli batter and add a pinch of cooking soda to a spoonful of water and mix it well and add to Idli batter and mix nicely.
- Grease the idli plates and switch on the steamer with enough water.I use my cooker and steam without whistle(weight).
- Pour 1 tbsp of idli batter into each impression and place the flattened potato stuffing and pour 2-3 tbsp idli batter to cover the filling.Stack up all the idli plates and steam for 10-12 mins.Rest it for another 3-4 mins.
- Dip a clean wide spoon in water and remove the idlis from the plate.Keep dipping the spoon in water in between which helps in taking out the idli easily.
- Keep them in hot box or serve directly on to a plate.Always serve these idlis hot.
- For potato stuffing you can even add grated carrots along with peas.
- You can even use mixed vegetable stuffing instead of potato stuffing in the recipe.
- Make sure that the Idli batter is thick to get perfect stuffed Idlis. If the batter is thin there are chances that the filling would settle down in the Idlis.