I have already highlighted about my love for Ottu Shavige in my previous posts and hence don't want to repeat it again. Lemon Shavige is also known as Lemon Sevai or Shavige Oggarane.It is a ritual to prepare Lemon Shavige whenever we prepare Ottu Shavige at home.Though we prepare other spicy variations with shavige like Tamarind Shavige or Coconut Shavige,this Lemon Shavige is the one thats mostly preferred by everyone.
During special occasions, Lemon Shavige along with the Ottu Shavige and its sweet variants feature in our menu.You can serve Lemon Shavige with Kaayi chutney(Coconut chutney) or eat it without any accompaniment.
Nowadays we get instant rice noodle pack very easily in the markets but somehow I don't like its taste and it's nowhere compared to the freshly pressed shavige. Using instant noodles would amount to compromising on the taste, in our view so my vote always go for fresh shavige.I have prepared this dish using freshly pressed Ottu Shavige but you can use the instant rice noodles pack and follow the same recipe.
If you are interested to learn about more Shavige(Sevai) recipes, check out how to prepare Ottu Shavige(Plain sevai/Rice noodles), Coconut Sevai and Tamarind Sevai.
Lemon Shavige | Lemon Idiyappam Recipe:
Prep time:5 mins | Cooking time:20 mins | Total time:25 mins + to prepare shavige
Cuisine: Karnataka-South Indian | Category: Breakfast
5-6 cups prepare Otthu Shavige or 200 gms Instant Rice vermicelli pack
1/2 cup fresh/frozen Green Peas
12-15 Cashew nuts,slit
8-10 Green chillies,slit
juice of 1 big Lemon
3-4 tbsp chopped fresh Coriander leaves
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
a sprig of Curry leaves
1 tbsp Chana dal
2 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- If you are using instant rice vermicelli,prepare the rice vermicelli as per the instructions given on the pack.Cool it completely.
- Blanch the green peas in hot water for few mins and drain them.
- Heat oil in a big kadai and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add chana dal,urad dal,cashew nuts and fry until they turn slight golden in color.
- Add green peas and green chillies and fry for 3-4 minutes until the green chillies wilt and green peas gets fried nicely.
- Add curry leaves and fry and then add turmeric powder and enough salt and switch off the flame.Leave it for 5 mins.
- Add prepared rice vermicelli to the tempering mixture and add lemon juice and chopped coriander and mix it nicely until everything is incorporated well.Taste it and adjust the seasoning according to your wish.
Serve it warm with coconut chutney,potato chips or sliced cucumber.
- I like to prepare this spicy and tangy and hence I add more green chillies and lemon to it,you adjust it according to your taste buds.
- Cashew nuts add better taste to it,so do not skip it.Alternatively you can use ground nuts instead of cashews in the recipe.
- If you are using instant rice vermicelli,boil a big pot of water with a tsp of oil and salt and then add instant rice vermicelli noodles and cook it for 8-10 mins approximately(see your pack for clear instructions) and strain it and give it a cold water bath and drain off the excess water.Spread it on a wide plate until it becomes cold and follow the recipe.