The moment I think of Gujarati cuisine I get remind of methi theplas and dhoklas. I prepare methi theplas quite often as they are very easy to prepare,I usually prepare theplas for dinner and preserve few to have for the breakfast next day.As these theplas stay good for long,it is an ideal dish for traveling.You can eat them with a pickle and plain yogurt.
I have posted Methi paratha recipe long back which is very different from this recipe.We prepare them in few variations - we stir fry the methi with other ingredients and mix the dough with it or add the methi leaves directly to the dough like how we do for methi theplas.These kind of theplas and parathas are easy to prepare when compared to stuffed parathas.They make a simple meal and hence I prefer to make them when I am in no mood to cook elaborate meals.
Gujarati Methi Theplas Recipe:
Prep time:30 mins | Cooking time:20 mins | Total time: 50 mins
Cuisine: Gujarati - Indian | Category: Breakfast/Snacks
2 cups Whole Wheat flour
1 cup Besan(Chickpea flour)
2 cups Methi(Fenugreek) leaves
1 tbsp Aam ka achar masala(optional)
2-3 tbsp Curd
1 tbsp. Sesame seeds
1 tbsp. Sesame seeds
1 tsp Coriander powder
1/2 tsp Red chili powder
1 tsp Cumin powder
1 tsp Ginger-Green chili paste
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
Oil/Ghee,to roast theplas
- Chop methi leaves finely and add salt and leave for 5 mins.Squeeze the extra water from the methi leaves completely,this will remove the bitterness of the leaves.However this step is optional.
- Take a big bowl and add wheat flour and besan along with all the masalas and mix well.
- Add oil and curd and rub and mix the flour nicely.
Now add methi leaves, sesame seeds, aam ka achar masala with little water and knead till the dough is smooth and soft.If the dough becomes sticky sprinkle some more flour and knead again.
- Grease your hands and knead it again until it gets the elastic texture.cover it and leave it for 20-25 mins.
Make medium size balls of the dough and roll it to a disc of 6'' in diameter by dusting it in between with the dry flour .
Heat a thick tawa and place the rolled thepla on the tawa and let it cook slightly on one side.Turn it to the other side and apply 1tsp oil/ghee and roast and then turn it again and apply oil(ghee) and let it roast on both sides till it forms the brown spots.
- Prepare all the theplas in the same manner and stack them in a roti basket.
Serve the theplas hot/warm/cold with Pickle and yogurt.I served mine with Mixed Vegetable Achar.
- The addition of aam ka achar(mango pickle masala) is optional,but I recommend to use it if you have it in hand.
- These theplas stay good for 2 days and hence it is ideal for traveling.Spread them until they come to room temperature and then pack them.
- You can follow the same process to prepare lauki thepla by replacing methi leaves with grated bottle gourd.You need to squeeze the water slightly from bottle gourd and then mix with atta.
- You can add 1/2 tsp Carom seeds(ajwain) or a pinch of hing while making the dough.I usually add either of them to avoid indigestion because of the usage of besan.
- Gujarati people add sugar in their dough.I do not add ,but if you would like to add ,add a tsp of sugar while mixing the dough.