Monsoons are here and is the right season for fresh corn and sweet corn varieties.I absolutely love the corn roasted on the charcoal and liberally sprinkled with salt,chili powder and lemon juice.It is an absolute treat in this rainy season to eat hot corn.While I prefer the charcoal grilled corn TH prefers boiled corn.Hence I end up making both the types to balance the taste buds.I am not a fan of frozen sweet corn and love to use the fresh corn always.
We find these steamed corn stalls in malls,theatres,markets and many public places.We get various kind of flavors in it ranging from Indian,Mexican,Italian,Thai etc.The most classic one is a plain steamed corn with butter,salt and pepper which tastes absolutely delicious.However I like to jazz it up with Indian flavors and I hence I love to add Chaat masala to my cup corn.This is a basic recipe and you can improvise it according to your requirements.
If you love Corn you should check other Snacks recipes with Corn.
Check out other Corn Recipes here.
Buttered Cup Corn Recipe:
Prep time:5 mins | Cooking time:20 mins | Total time:25 mins
Cuisine:Indian | Category:Snacks
2 Sweet corns on the cobs
1 tbsp Butter
1/4 tsp Pepper powder,freshly ground
1/2 tsp Chaat masala
juice of 1 small Lemon
Salt to taste
- Remove the kernels from the fresh corn.I usually cut one line of corn vertically with the knife,you can easily peel the other corn kernels using the knife by running it in the line.Alternatively you can just cut them using the knife or use frozen sweet corn.
- Add salt and water to it and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles until the corn becomes slightly soft,alternatively you can cook it in microwave for 6-7 mins.
- Once the pressure subsides drain the excess water and when it is still hot add butter to it and mix well.The butter melts immediately and coats the corn nicely.
- Add pepper powder,chaat masala,salt and lemon juice and mix well.As chaat masala and butter already has salt,so add less salt.Taste it and adjust the seasoning according to your wish.
Serve it hot as a snack or a side to your meal.
- You can add chopped coriander leaves to the cup corn if you want.
- You can play with the spices used in the cup corn.You can used mixed herbs or roasted cumin powder or red chili flakes or smoked paprika if you wish.
- If you like cheese you can add 2-3 tbsp grated cheese and mix and then microwave it for a minute.This is ideal for kids.
- You can add finely chopped tomato,onion and coriander to the above recipe and prepare corn salad.