Finger food is always a must for any party and these canapes are ideal for parties.They are very easy to make and can be made well ahead and all we need is few minutes to arrange them before serving.This is one of my versions for canapes which is made in Italian style and is perfect for kids or adults.It is a great party food,try this simple n delicious snack to impress your guests.Canapes with Italian style Corn filling Recipe:
(serves 7-8 for finger food)
18-20 Canapes/Basket Canapes
2-3 tbsp Sour cream(see the notes for a home made version)
8-10 fresh Italian Basil leaves,finely sliced
1 cup Sweet Corn
3/4 cup finely chopped colored Bell peppers(I used only green)
1 medium Onion,finely chopped
2-3 Garlic pods,grated
5-6 Black Olives,sliced
1 tsp Mixed Italian Herbs
1 tbsp Tomato sauce
2 tbsp Cream
3/4 tsp Black pepper powder( to taste)
Salt to taste
1 tsp Butter
1 tsp Olive Oil
- Put a cross on a tomato and blanch it in hot water until the skin comes out(it takes maximum 2-3 mins).Cool it and then peel off the skin and take out the eye of tomato and finely chop it.
- Boil sweet corn until it is tender and keep it aside.
- Heat olive oil and butter in a kadai and add grated garlic and fry it and add finely chopped onion and fry well until it is translucent.
- Add finely chopped bell peppers and fry on high flame until it is slightly cooked but still crispy to bite.
- Add chopped tomatoes(boiled) and corn and cook well until the tomatoes are slightly mushy.
- Add boiled sweet corn and Italian herbs to it and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Add tomato sauce,cream,salt,sliced black olives and required black pepper powder to it and cook for 2 minutes.Take care that the mixture is neither completely dry nor it should be like gravy.The mixture should look like how it is in the picture.
- Cool the mixture completely.
for Serving Canapes:
- Arrange your canapes in a serving platter and keep 1-2 tbsp filling in the canapes.
- Pour a dash of sour cream(1/4-1/2 tsp) and garnish with freshly sliced basil leaves.Serve them immediately.They might turn soggy if kept for long time.
To make Sour cream:
- Beat the cream(1/2 cup) until thick and add 1-2 tsp curd and mix well.Add a pinch of salt and pepper while mixing it.
- If you want a low calorie version mix more of hung curd(1/2 cup) and 2-3 tbsp cream to make sour cream.Season with salt and pepper.
- You can replace sweet corn with finely chopped blanched baby corn and follow the same process for filling.
- You can replace those basket canapes with the ready available canapes.They need to be deep fried before using.
- You can even replace canapes with savory crackers like monaco or any salty crackers. Adjust the filling according to the size of crackers.