Navratri is going to start in few days and I am sure many of you would be busy with the arrangements for the festival.Though I do not keep Golu at home I love to visit my friend's places to see the Golu as part of the festival celebrations.Various varieties of sundal,mixed rice varieties and kheer varieties are prepared as prashad everyday for Mataji on those nine days.I would be posting a few recipes that are commonly made in this festival. Hoping that it should be useful for all of you.Sweet Corn Sundal Recipe:
1 cup Sweet corn
2-3 tbsp grated fresh Coconut
4-5 Green chillies,sliced
1 tsp chopped Coriander,to garnish
juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt to taste
1 tsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
a sprig of Curry leaves
2-3 Red chillies
a pinch of Asafoetida
1 tbsp Oil
- Remove the kernels of corn from the cob and pressure cook them with salt for 2 whistles.Drain off the excess water.
- Grind grated coconut and green chillies to a coarse paste in whipper mode.
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds and add chana dal and urad dal and let them turn slight brown.
- Add red chillies,asafoetida,curry leaves and ground coconut-green chilli paste and fry it for a minute.
- Add cooked sweet corn and required amount of salt(remember,we already added some salt while cooking sweet corn) and mix well and cook it on low flame for 2 mins.
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice and coriander leaves and mix well.
- You can replace sweet corn with soaked black/white chickpeas,lobia,green gram,yellow peas or chana dal for variation or you can even use mix of these legumes to make variety sundal.
- You can even add a small piece of ginger while grinding coconut and green chillies,it adds nice flavor.
- If you are not preparing this for festival,you can add finely chopped onion in the tempering.