I prefer to use Cabbage mostly in stir fries than the curries as TH is not fond of soft cooked cabbage.Cabbage Paratha is again a favorite with the crunchiness of fresh cabbage bites in it.Cabbage can be paired with many vegetables like carrots,peas,potatoes,sprouts and also with various dals like moong dal,chana dal,chickpeas. I absolutely love all the combinations and also try new combinations sometimes.
You can check out various Cabbage recipes here.
Cabbage Carrot Stir fry Recipe:
Prep time:10 mins | Cook time:15 mins | Total time:25 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Side dish for Roti|Rice
1 small Cabbage,shredded thinly
1 large Carrot,grated
5-6 Green chillies,slit
2 tsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1 tsp Mustard seeds
a pinch of Turmeric powder
a pinch of Asafoetida
5-6 Curry leaves
1 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and crackle mustard seeds and add asafoetida.
- Add chana dal,urad dal and fry them until they turn golden in color.
- Add curry leaves,green chillies and fry them until they wilt.
- Now add shredded cabbage and fry well for 3-4 mins.
- Add grated carrots and,turmeric powder and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Cover it and cook for 5-6 mins.
- Add salt at the end and mix well.
- You can add roasted peanuts(slightly crushed) at the end for extra crunch.
- Green peas or sprouts can also be added to the curry.
- You can replace green chillies with red chili powder in the recipe.
- If you wish you can add grated coconut at the end.