It is not necessary that an exotic looking dish should be complicated to prepare. Today's recipe is one such example.These Stuffed Bell peppers look quite exotic but they are relatively simple to prepare.While the options for the stuffing are endless, I chose a classic Corn-Cottage cheese filling which works beautifully as a stuffing for bell peppers.I have previously posted a Stuffed Capsicum recipe with lentil filling,a typical South Indian variety and also Potato stuffed Capsicum in a rich Restaurant style gravy which pairs nicely with Naans,Rotis and Pilaf varieties.
While the nuts add a nutty crunch,the puffed up raisins add a slight sweetness to the filling and the oozing cheese makes the Bell peppers taste delicious.You can serve these beautiful Stuffed Bell Peppers as an appetizer as a side dish for Pasta,Noodles or flavored Rice varieties with Sauce.It is a nice party dish and goes with anything.
If you are interested check out few Indian style Stuffed Capsicum recipes here:
Stuffed Bell Peppers with Corn and Paneer(Cottage cheese):
2 Red Bell peppers(or yellow)
1 tbsp Oil/butter,for basting
1 tbsp Lemon juice
1 tsp Ginger-Garlic paste
1 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh Paneer(Cottage Cheese)
1/2 cup fresh/frozen Sweet Corn kernels,boiled
1 small Onion,finely chopped
1 tbsp chopped Cashew nuts
2 tbsp chopped Coriander
1 tsp Mixed Herbs or Herbs de Provence
1/2 tsp Red chili flakes
juice of 1/2 Lemon
2-3 Green chillies,finely chopped
1/2 cup grated Mozzarella Cheese
1 tbsp Olive Oil
Salt to taste
- Cut the bell peppers into two equal halves with the stem intact.Scoop out the seeds neatly with the help of a knife.
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients mentioned under marinade- lemon juice,ginger-garlic paste,oil and salt and rub this marinade liberally on the inside of bell peppers and leave them aside for half an hour.
- Mean while take a pan and heat olive oil and add onions and fry until they turn slight brown in color.
- Add chopped green chillies, cashew nuts and raisins and fry for a couple of minutes until the raisins puff up.
- Add boiled corn and fry for a minute and add chopped fresh paneer(cottage cheese) and mix well. Add salt,red chili flakes and mixed herbs and mix well.
- Remove from heat and add coriander leaves,lemon juice and 2 tbsp of mozzarella cheese and mix nicely.
- Remove the extra water from red peppers(which is because of the marinade) and rub oil on the outside of bell peppers.
- Stuff them with this corn-paneer mixture and top the bell peppers with the remaining grated mozzarella cheese to cover the filling.
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg C for 10 mins.
- Line a baking tray with foil and apply some oil on it.
- Place the stuffed bell peppers on the baking sheet and grill it in preheated oven for 12-15 mins until the cheese melts on top and the bell peppers wilt.Check it in between and bash it with more oil/butter if needed.
Serve them hot with Pasta/Noodles/flavored Rice or as a snack/appetizer.
- You can use mixed bell peppers or capsicum in the recipe.
- You can add Indian flavors to it by replacing the herbs with Garam masala and Cumin powder.
- I have used cheese slices to cover the bell peppers as I did not have mozzarella cheese that time.
- You can grill them in tandoor or on the stove top.If you are doing on stove top place wide nonstick pan and heat a couple of tsp of oil and place the stuffed bell peppers and cover it with lid and keep on low- medium flame.Let them fry until the cheese melts and the bell peppers wilt.
- You can use Tofu instead of cottage cheese in the recipe.