Beerakaya Pappu |Ridge gourd Dal and Ridge gourd peel chutney
Ridge gourd Curry | Turai ki Sabji Recipe:
Serves 2-3 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: North Indian | Category: Curry - Side dish
2 long Ridge gourds
2 medium Onions, finely chopped
2 Tomatoes, finely chopped
2.5 tsp Coriander powder
1.5 tsp Red chili powder
3/4 tsp Turmeric powder
a pinch of Sugar, optional
3/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Asafoetida
Salt, to taste
2 tbsp Oil
- Wash and peel the skin of ridge gourd and cut into small pieces and keep it aside. Chop onions and tomatoes and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle cumin seeds and add asafoetida.
- Add finely chopped onions and fry until the onions turn pink in color and then add chopped tomatoes and fry nicely until the tomatoes become pulpy.
- Add the spice powders - coriander powder,red chili powder, turmeric powder, sugar, salt and mix nicely and cook until the oil leaves the masala at the edges.
- Add chopped ridge gourd and mix it nicely and add little water(1-2 tbsp) and cover it and cook for 7-8 mins until the ridge gourd is cooked.
Garnish with coriander and serve it hot Phulkas/Rice.
- This curry tastes best with minimal spices. If you like it masaledar you can add 1/4-1/2 tsp of Garam masala at the end.
- I have used more oil in the recipe, as again it gives the best taste with more oil.You can reduce it
- if you want.
- You can use the peeled ridge gourd skin to make this delicious Andhra style ridge gourd peel chutney which tastes nice with hot steamed rice.
- You can follow the same process and prepare the bottle gourd sabzi.
- Also, you can avoid onion and tomato in the recipe and prepare the same way and it also tastes nice.