I love Chaats very much!!
When I say this,I really mean it.I can shamelessly admit that I can eat Chaats for any meal of the day - whether it is a breakfast, lunch or dinner. YES..that is my love for Chaats. Infact Panipuri was one of our breakfasts even during my childhood.We used to not get the puris(for chaat) in the place where we lived, but it did not stop us anytime.I remember amma and me used to prepare a huge batch of puris for the breakfast and used to save the unpuffed ones for the Sev puri, Masala Puri, Tikki puri or Papdi chaat. On the days we used to have panipuri for breakfast, my mom used to prepare another breakfast for my father because somehow he did not like the idea of having panipuri for breakfast.Also, to highlight we have growm up eating Bangarpet style Pani Puri which is a speciality from my grand mom's home town Bangarpet. I had already blogged about the recipe in my space incase if you want to know more about it.I will also warn you that it is an acquired taste as the pani used in the Bangarpet pani puri is way different from the regular Mumbai style Pani Puri or Delhi style Golgappe or Calcutta style Puchka. But I love all foms of Pani puris and needless to say that I love any chaat varieties. I think I have told enough about my love for chaats and let me talk more about this chaat now.
Dahi Puri when it comes to preparation, just that we use flat puris known as papris instead of puffed up puris. Also, we add pomegranate kernels and also a typical Delhi style Papri chaat has mini dahi bhallas in it.There are no fast and hard rules in the preparation process of these chaats.One can add more or less of dahi, spice powders, chaat chutneys to their chaats according to each individual's preference.The balance of sweetened curds with the tangy and spicy chutneys,spices on a crisp papdi layered with chickpeas and potatoes is definitely a winner on any palate.I am sure most of you would have tried this at least once,if you have not tried it I would suggest to give this lip smacking chaat recipe a try for sure. Let us see how to prepare Delhi style Papdi Chaat with step by step photos.
- Bangarpet Pani Puri, Delhi style Golgappa, Mumbai style Pani Puri
- Sookha Bhel Poori, Babycorn Mango Masala, Aloo Chana Chaat
- Corn Bhel, Nippat Masala, Bun Nippat Masala
- Dahi Bhalla, Dahi Idli, Dahi Puri
- Pav Bhaji, Ragada Patties
- Sev Puri , Canape Sev Poori, Tikki Puri
Dahi Papdi Chaat Recipe:
Serves 2 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: North Indian | Category: Chaats
14 Papdis(baked/deep fried)
1/3 cup Chickpeas,boiled
1 large Potato,boiled,peeled and chopped
2-3 tbsp chopped fresh Coriander
3-4 tbsp fresh Pomegranate Kernels
10-12 small marble sized Dahi Bhallas,optional(I did not add)
1/4 cup fine Sev
1 cup chilled fresh thick Curd
2 tbsp Sugar
1/4 cup Kharjur-Imli chutney
1/4 cup Green chutney
1 tsp roasted Cumin powder
1 tsp Red chili powder
1 tsp Chaat masala
Salt to taste
- Add enough salt to potatoes while cooking them.Peel the potatoes and chop them into fine pieces.
- Pressure cook white chickpeas with added salt for 3 whistles and let it cook on sim for 10 mins.Let the pressure cooker cool and then drain the chickpeas and keep it ready.
- Beat fresh curds nicely and add sugar,salt and 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder and mix well.
- Arrange papdis on 2 plates,7 each.
- Add boiled chickpeas and then followed by 1 tsp boiled and chopped potatoes on each papdi. If you are adding mini dahi bhallas, add 5-6 of them in each plate at this stage.
- Add little bit of kharjur -imli chutney and green chutney on all the papdis.Sprinkle a fat pinch of red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, salt and chaat masala on each papdi.
- Then add beaten curd generously all over the papdis on both the plates
- Again top it again with a generous drizzle of kharjur-imli chutney and green chutney.Sprinkle a pinch of roasted cumin powder,red chili powder,chaat masala and salt on the spread curd.
- Add few more chopped potatoes, boiled chickpeas ,generous serving of pomegranate kernels on the spread curd.
- Top it with sev generously and garnish with coriander.
Serve it immediately.
Do not keep it for long as it will become soggy,so prepare this just before serving,Keep all the ingredients ready before you serve this.
- You can replace boiled yellow chickpeas with steamed moong sprouts in the recipe.
- The amount of the addition of curd, chutneys and spice powders in each plate completely depends on individual choice.Add more or less according to your taste buds.
- Use only freshly made roasted cumin powder for the chaats, it enhances the flavor of chaat.
- Do not keep the prepared chaat sit for long as it will become soggy,so prepare this just before serving,Keep all the ingredients ready before you serve this.
- If you like the garlicky flavor you can even used Garlic Chutney along with the other chaat chutneys.For Garlic Chutney - grind 8-10 pods of garlic with 2 soaked red chillies,lemon juice and salt to a fine paste.
- You can make more number of plated increasing the quantities accordingly,there are no measurements.