Hotel style Coconut chutney and Tomato Chutney, there are various other chutney varieties too which are prepared on the regular basis at my place. Today I am posting a very simple chutney variety - Fried gram chutney which is prepared in a similar way like coconut chutney but without or very little coconut being used in the recipe. You can also say this as a no coconut chutney as the coconut is optional in the recipe.My MIL prepares this chutney often just to avoid consuming more coconut as idli-dosa fare is almost an everyday affair at their place. So, this recipe is for those who wants a change from the regular coconut chutney or to avoid coconut in their chutney.
Check out other chutney varieties in my blog -
- Green capsicum chutney , Peanut Chutney
- Mamidi allam(Maa Inji) chutney
- Raw Onion Chutney ,Onion Chutney
- Hotel style Coconut chutney, Red Coconut Chutney, Green coconut chutney,
- Tomato Chutney ,Tomato-Onion Chutney
Fried(Roasted) Gram Chutney | Pottukadalai Chutney Recipe:
Serves 2-3 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 3 mins | Cooking time: 2 mins | Total time: 5 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Accompaniments- Chutney variety for Idli/Dosa
1/2 cup Fried(Roasted) Gram/ Putnalapappu
1.5 tbsp fresh/frozen grated Coconut,optional
2 Green chilies
1-2 Garlic pods
a small marble sized Tamarind
Salt to taste
1.5 tsp Ghee/Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1/2 tsp Urad dal
5-6 Curry leaves
a pinch of Asafoetida
- Grind fried gram, coconut(if using), green chilies, garlic, tamarind and salt to a smooth paste by adding water little by little until you get the required consistency.Remove it to a serving bowl.
- In a small tadka pan heat ghee(oil) and crackle mustard seeds and add urad dal and curry leaves and asafoetida and fry until the urad dal turns little red in color.
- Add the tempering to the prepared chutney and mix it nicely and cover it immediately to retain the flavors of the tempering.
Serve it with Idli/ Dosa/ Uthappam.
- The addition of coconut is entirely optional but I recommend to use it.
- Garlic adds a nice flavor to the chutney, so do not skip it.
- You can make the chutney even with red chilies, in that case fry red chilies in little bit of oil and grind with the other ingredients.