2 large tender ridge gourd
5-6 dry red chillies
2 tsp urad dal
1 tsp chana dal
1 tsp jeers
2 tsp tamarind pulp
2 tsp oil
salt to taste
1 tsp ghee/oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of hing
1 red chili, broken
3-4 garlic pods
7-8 curry leaves
- Peel the outer skin of ridge gourds and use the chopped ridge gourd pieces for other preparations like making dal,kootu,pacchadi etc.Check the taste of it as sometimes the ridge gourd can be bitter too,if it is bitter its better to discard it and use another one.
- Heat a tsp of oil in a pan and add ridge gourd peels and fry until they are tender and keep it aside until it cools.
- Heat again a tsp of oil in the same pan and add chana dal,urad dal,jeera and fry until turn slight red in color.
- Add red chillies and fry again and add tamarind pulp at the end and switch off the flame.
- Grind the fried dal's.red chillies along with tamarind pulp and salt to a slight coarse powder.
- Now add the fried ridge gourd peels and blend in whipper mode to a coarse paste.Do not grind it to a fine paste.
- Heat ghee in a small pan and crackle mustard seeds and add garlic pods,broken red chili,curry leaves and hing and fry well and add to the ground paste.
In the above photo you can see the rice ball made with the prepared pacchadi with a dollop of ghee and in the background you can see ridge gourd dal and vankaya kotthimeera karam(stuffed brinjal with coriander) which I will try blogging them soon too.
- You can follow the same method and prepare the pacchadi with bottle gourd peels and ridge gourd pieces and skipping the peels of ridge gourd.
- For a Vegan version use oil instead of ghee for tempering.