Andhra Cuisine has lots of varieties of pacchadis(Chutneys) which is usually mixed with rice and hence is a part of the main meal. Pacchadi is usually prepared with few vegetables or dals. My MIL and Mom,they both prepare various varieties of pacchadis . My MIL usually gives me a supply of niluva pacchadis like Chintakaya pacchadi, Gongura Pacchadi , Usirikaya Pacchadi etc. I just need to grind the niluva pacchadi with a couple of ingredients to prepare the Pacchadi, it is the easiest option which I can think of when I am not in a mood to cook or when I want to add more dishes to my meal to make it more appealing.
Coming to today's recipe I have used fresh raw tamarind and fresh red chillies to prepare this pacchadi and one can store this pacchadi in refrigerator upto a week(with out the addition of onions). I am posting my mom's version of pacchadi today where as even my MIL's version is also similar just that she does not add fenugreek-mustard powder to it.But I personally liked my mom's version as the roasted mustard-methi powder added a nice flavor to the pacchadi.One can follow the same recipe and prepare either Chintakaya(Raw Tamarind) Pacchadi or Pandu Mirapakaya Pacchadi avoiding the other ingredient.
Check out other Pacchadi recipes in my blog:
- Beerakaya Pottu Pacchadi/Ridgegourd Peel Chutney
- Dosakaya(Andhra Cucumber) Pacchadi
- Kobbari(Coconut) Pacchadi for Rice
- Mamidikayi-Kobbari Pacchadi/Mango-Coconut Pacchadi
- Nalleru Pacchadi | Pirandai(Adamant Creeper) Thuvaiyal
- Nellikai Pacchadi | Usirikaya Pacchadi with Red Chillies
- Radish leaves(Mullangi akula) Pacchadi
- Usirikaya Pacchadi(with Green Chillies)
Chintakaya Pandu Mirapakaya Pacchadi Recipe:
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Total time: 20 mins
Cuisine: Andhra | Category: Pacchadi/Accompaniments
7- 8 Raw Tamarind pieces(3" inches long)
1 big Onion, finely chopped
12-15 fresh Red Chillies
1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
1 tsp Mustard seeds
1/8 tsp Asafoetida
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Mustard seeds
8-10 Garlic pods,peeled and slightly crushed
1 Red Chili, broken
a sprig of Curry leaves
- Wash and pat dry raw tamarind and red chillies separately using a dry kitchen towel .
- Dry roast mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds separately and grind it to a fine powder along with asafoetida in the coffee grinder or in a small jar.If you are using rock asafoetida,dry roast it and grind it along with mustard and fenugreek seeds.
- Cut tamarind into small pieces and grind it to a coarse paste.
- Add red chillies, turmeric powder, salt and ground mustard-fenugreek powder and grind it again to a coarse paste.
- Add finely chopped onion to the mixer and pulse it a couple of times in whipper mode. Remove the chutney to a serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a small tadka pan and crackle mustard seeds.Add crushed garlic pods and red chillies and fry until they turn slight golden bown and add curry leaves at the end.
- Add this tadka to the prepared chutney and cover it immediately.Mix it nicely before serving.
Serve it with hot steamed Rice and ghee. You can even serve onion along with it for extra crunch.
- You can prepare only raw tamarind pacchadi in the same way by avoiding red chillies and also vice versa for red chilli pacchadi, avoid raw tamarind in the recipe.
- The addition of mustard and fenugreek powder is optional.My MIL does not add it but my mom add it.It gives a nice flavor to the pacchadi.
- If you want to store this for long, do not add onion while grinding, you can store the chutney for long in refrigerator.Mix finely chopped onions in the required portion before serving.