Gulab Jamun is one of the most popular desserts in India which takes its place in any occasion - be it a festival or a get together or any other big functions. Usually Gulab Jamun is served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream which takes it to another level.
The simplest process of preparing Jamun is by using the ready mix which is easily available in the markets but the khoya jamun version tastes significantly more delicious when compared to the other versions. I have already posted a Gulab Jamun recipe using milk powder, one can choose the recipe based on the availability of ingredients at home. My mom always prefer to prepare gulab jamuns with khoya as the texture of the jamuns made using khoya is very different and comparatively more tasty from the regular ones.
When I talk about Gulab Jamun, the first thing that flashes my mind is the craving I had for this sweet during my pregnancy.I never liked gulab jamun as a kid but my pregnancy changed my opinion about this sweet and now I don't miss a chance to eat this sweet.But I prefer the home made version rather than the store bought ones as somehow I don't like the taste of the store bought or packaged ones.
Check out other sweets recipes on my blog:
Khoya Gulab Jamun Recipe:
Yields: 22-25 Jamuns | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time: 45 mins
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Sweets/Desserts
1 cup Unsweetened Khoya
2.5 -3 tbsp Maida/All Purpose Flour
a pinch of Baking Soda
Milk,few drops(optional,but use it if required)
Oil/Ghee , for deep frying
Pistachios/Almond slivers,for garnish
for Sugar syrup:
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1 1/2 cups Water
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
a few Saffron strands
2-3 drops of Rose essence
to prepare sugar syrup:
- Combine water and sugar in a big broad vessel and let it come to a nice boil.Add cardamom powder, saffron strands and rose essence or rose water and let it boil until it becomes thick and reach single thread consistency.
- Remove any scum from the syrup with the help of a ladle.Switch it off and keep it ready before we proceed to make jamuns.
to prepare Jamuns:
- Take khoya in a bowl and mash it nicely to remove all the lumps from it.If you are using frozen khoya bring it to room temperature and proceed for the same.
- Add cooking soda and maida(2 1/2 tbsp) to the crumbled khoya mixture and mix it nicely.Sprinkle milk little by little and mix gently by rotating your hand in one direction to form a smooth dough.DO NOT knead the mixture.You can even use water instead of milk to make the dough.If you need you can add the remaining 1/2 tbsp maida and make it into a mixture.
- Keep the mixture aside for 5 mins.
- Divide the mixture into 20-25 equal portions and make them into evenly sized round smooth balls or oblong shaped ones like I did, the balls should not have cracks once it is rolled. Do not apply pressure while rolling them and also do not roll it very tight.
- Deep fry them in a batch of 7-8 balls in moderate hot oil/ghee until it turns dark brown in color, make sure that the oil is not very hot. You need to roll them regularly in oil so that the jamuns get nice golden brown color on all the sides.Repeat the process for the other batches.
- Drain the oil/ghee nicely from the jamuns and let them sit for a minute or two or drain in a tissue paper and then add jamuns to the prepared hot sugar syrup and let it soak for 2-3 hrs.
Garnish with flaked almonds/pistachios and serve it hot/warm or at room temperature.You can serve jamuns warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- It is important to make smooth dough and also you should not knead the dough.This helps in yielding soft jamuns.
- Jamuns double in size ,hence make sure you use a broad vessel for syrup giving enough room for the jamuns to expand.
- You can use either water or milk to make the dough, but milk makes the jamuns very soft and tasty.
- The oil should not be very hot, it should be moderate hot and also you should fry the jamuns in medium heat by rolling them in between constantly.
- You can use even kewra water instead of rose water.
- You can even add slivered pistachios or almonds on jamuns while serving.