I prepare various dry curries to go with rice for our lunch and this Cabbage-Pesarapappu podi kura(dry curry) is one of my favorites which I prepare quite often.If you do not like cabbage do give this combination a try,the addition of moong dal and coconut makes this curry extremely delicious and pairs well with rice or roti.You can find a similar version of podi kura with amaranth leaves here, Thotakura Pesarapappu Podi kura which is again my personal favorite.
Cabbage Pesarapappu Podi Kura | Cabbage Moong dal Dry Curry:
1 small Cabbage,shredded or finely chopped
1/3 cup Moong dal(yellow lentils),soaked
1/3 cup grated fresh Coconut
5-6 Green Chillies
a pinch of Turmeric powder
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
a sprig of Curry leaves
Salt to taste
2 tbsp Oil
- Soak moong dal overnight or for 1-2 hrs.
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add chana dal,urad dal and curry leaves and fry well.
- Add curry soaked moong dal,shredded/finely chopped cabbage and turmeric powder and fry well for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover it with a deep lid and pour water over it which enables steam cooking for the vegetable to get cooked.Keep it on low flame for 12-15 mins until the cabbage and moong dal is cooked.It would be a dry curry with slight moisture.Cook for another couple of minutes if needed.
- Meanwhile grind grated coconut with salt and green chillies in a mixer to a coarse paste.
- Once the cabbage moong dal is cooked add the ground coconut mixture and mix well and stir fry for 2 minutes.
Serve it hot with steamed rice/roti/chapati.
- You can add grated carrots along with cabbage and follow the same recipe.
- You can substitute cabbage with grated carrots or grated beetroots in the recipe.The cooking time may vary accordingly.
- Moong dal can be substituted with Chana dal and follow the same recipe,even this tastes nice.