Stir fry and Rasam for lunch and I would say it is my most comforting food.Usually it does not take more than half an hour to cook this meal with rice,stir-fry and rasam and hence it is apt for a quick meal.I like this particular combination of cabbage with peanuts,the addition of peanuts not only adds taste but also the crunch to the stir fry.You can serve this as a salad or a side dish for rotis and rice,it goes very well.
1 small Red or Purple cabbage,finely shredded
1/2 cup roasted Groundnuts,skinned and halved
4-5 Red chillies,broken
a sprig of Curry leaves
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Oil
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add broken red chillies and curry leaves and saute again for a minute until they turn slightly crisp.
- Add shredded cabbage and fry on medium-high flame for 2-3 minutes and cover it and reduce the flame and cook for another 3-4 mins.Now the cabbage would start slightly change the color and is 3/4th cooked,it should be crunchy and not become soggy.
- Slightly crush half the peanuts in a mortar and pestle or do it using a rolling pin.
- Add salt and crushed peanuts and halved peanuts and stir fry on high flame for 2 minutes.
Serve it hot immediately with Roti/Rice.You can have this as a salad as well,it tastes nice too.
- Always add peanuts at the end otherwise they will loose their crunch and it does not taste that good.
- In case you are preparing this stir fry ahead of time do not add peanuts in it,add the peanuts jsut before serving and give a quick stir on high flame.
- You can replace red chillies with green chillies in the recipe.
- Regular cabbage can be used instead of red cabbage and follow the same recipe.
- Grated carrots can also be added along with carrots in the recipe.