Tomorrow is Maha Shivratri, an auspicious Hindu festival performed in reverence of Lord Shiva. On Mahashivratri day,in South India, we usually do not eat rice and eat light tiffin items,sweets and fruits and few even observe fast with out consuming anything throughout the day.
I have already posted a south Indian version of Sabudana Upma,which is prepared with a different variety of Sago called 'Nylon Sago' and 'Moong dal' which tastes nice and different in its own way.Today, I am posting a simple and humble Sabudana Khichdi, which is a typical Maharasthrian style recipe and is ideal to prepare on the days of fasting.I love the addition of peanuts in the recipe which not only adds to the taste but also adds a nice crunch and texture to the khichdi.
In Mumbai, we get good quality sabudana and I often prepare various breakfast varieties like Sabudana Thalipeeth , Sago Tikki, Sabudana Vada and this simple Sabudana Khichdi.The process of soaking the sabudana is bit tricky;if we soak sabudana in more water or for a long time, we might end up with a mushy and lumpy khichdi.I have included few tips in the method and notes to get perfect Sago pearl Khichdi-please go through them carefully before you attempt this.
Other Sabudana recipes in my blog which might be interesting for you:
- Sago Chiwda
- Sago Murukku
- Sabudana Thalipeeth
- Sabudhana Kheer / Sago Payasam
- Sabudana Upma
- Sabudana Bonda
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe:
1 cup Sago/Sabudana
1 big Potato
1/3 cup + 2 tbsp roasted Groundnut powder,coarse powder with bits of groundnuts
5-6 Green chillies,slit
1 tsp Ginger,grated(optional)
a sprig of Curry leaves
2-3 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
2-3 tbsp grated fresh Coconut,for garnish
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tsp Sugar(optional)
1 tsp Cumin seeds
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Oil
1 tbsp Ghee
- Wash sago twice and add enough water until it is just above the level of Sago.Soak it for 4-5 hrs or overnight.Do not add more water as it will make sago soft and soggy.
- Pressure cook potato with salt until soft for 3 whistles.Peel the skin and cut it into small cubes.
- Heat ghee and oil in a big kadai/pan and crackle cumin seeds.
- Add slit green chillies,grated ginger and curry leaves and fry until they wilt.
- Add cubed potatoes and fry for 1-2 mins.You do not need to roast them until crisp,just saute them for some time.
- Meanwhile in a wide bowl mix sago with roasted groundnut powder,salt and sugar and keep it ready. This process of mixing the groundnut powder will make sure that the sago will not sticky while cooking.
- Add this mixed sago mixture to the kadai and mix well on low flame.Stir it continuously until you see some of the sago pearls turning transparent.Cover it and cook for 3-4 mins,this way they will get cooked uniformly with the steam.
- Remove the lid and add lemon juice and mix well.
Garnish with chopped coriander and grated fresh coconut. Serve it hot with Curd/ sliced Cucumber/ Sev.
- Instead of boiled potatoes you can add chopped potatoes and cook it in the pan.I prefer to cook the potatoes in advance before adding to khichdi.Add salt while cooking potatoes as they will absorb salt and makes it tasty.
- The addition of groundnut powder adds a nice taste to khichdi.I usually use my mortar and pestle to crush groundnuts and also I keep them slightly coarse.The bits of groundnuts adds a nice crunch and taste while eating khichdi.
- I add lot of green chillies in sabudana khichdi otherwise I find it bit bland.
- While soaking Sago add water to it until it is just above the level.This amount of water is enough and its a basic thumb rule to get nice non sticky Khichdi.
- Sugar is added in typical Maharsthrian style khichdi,you can skip it if you do not want.
You can check out other Vrat recipes for Shivratri here:
- Sabudana Thalipeeth
- Sabudana Upma - South Indian style(you can prepare this recipe with out onions)
- Fruit Cocktail Sticks
- Phool Makhana Kheer
- Rava Payasam | Sooji Kheer
- Sabudana Kheer | Sago Payasam
- Carrot Kheer
- Orange Basundi
- Lauki(Bottlegourd) Halwa
- Paneer Modak Peda
- Strawberry-Banana Smoothie
- Strawberry Lassi