I prepare various kind of dals on a daily basis and I usually prefer to make basic and simple dals for everyday cooking.When compared to other dals, I feel Masoor dal and Moong dal are very light on the stomach.Today, I am posting a very simple recipe using masoor dal with garlic tempering-which imparts a nice flavor to the dal.
Simple Masoor Dal Recipe:
1/3 cup Masoor dal
1 tsp chopped Coriander leaves
a pinch of Turmeric powder
salt to tatse
1 tbsp Ghee/Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
3-4 Garlic pods,finely chopped or crushed
2 Green Chillies,finely chopped
a pinch of Asafoetida
5-6 Curry leaves
- Pressure cookmasoor dal with turmeric for 2-3 whistles and simmer it for 5-6 mins.
- Once the pressure drops mash the dal slightly and add some water if required and simmer it for sometime.
Meanwhile in a small tadka pan heat ghee and crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add finely chopped green chillies,garlic pods,curry leaves and asafoetida and fry for a minute.
Pour this tadka to the simmering masoor dal and add salt and cook for 2-3 mins.
- Add chopped corriander at the end and mix well.
Serve it hot with Rice/Rotis/Parathas.If you are serving with rice,it goes well with a vegetable fry and pickle.
- You can squeeze juice of half a lemon to the dal at the end after you switch off the flame.
- You can also add finely chopped onions when you are frying garlic pods and add it to the dal.
- Chopped spinach or methi leaves can be added while pressure cooking the dal and follow the same process of temering with/without onions.
- You can skip garlic in the recipe and add ginger instead for a different flavor.If you are using ginger in the recipe do add lemon juice at the end,it enhances the flavor.
- You can add chopped tomatoes to the dal while pressure cooking it.
- Avoid ghee and use oil in the recipe for a Vegan version.