2 medium Beetroots
1 tbsp Vangibath powder
1 tbsp roasted(fried) Gram powder(chutney dalia)
2 Red chillies,broken
a sprig of Curry leaves
2 tsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1-2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Wash,peel and cut the beetroot into tiny cubes or small pieces or cut into thin lengthy pieces.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai/pan and crackle mustard seeds.
- Add Chana dal and urad dal and fry until they turn in red color.
- Add broken red chillies and curry leaves and fry them until they turn crisp.
- Now add chopped beetroot pieces and fry or 2 mins.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of water and cover it and cook for 7-8 mins until the beetroot is soft and cooked.If it is not cooked cook for another few mins,add few tbsp of water if required
- Remove the lid and increase the flame and cook until the moisture is evaporated.
- Add salt,vangibath powder and mix well and cook for another 2 mins on low flame.
- Now add roasted gram powder to it and give a nice stir and remove it from flame immediately.
Serve it hot with Rice/Roti/Chapati.
- You can follow the same process for vegetables like Carrots, Broadbeans(chikkudukaya), French beans, Long beans, Cluster beans, Potatoes etc.You need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- If you do not have Vangibath powder,you can add normal chili powder along with roasted gram powder in the recipe.
- Beetroot pieces can be steamed ahead and add to the tempering and add the powders at the end.
- You can add 1 tbsp of dry coconut powder at the end,as my vangibath powder has that I did not add it extra.But even if you add extra it adds a nice taste to the curry.
You can check out another version of Simple Beetroot stir fry recipe here.