2 big Beetroots,peeled and finely chopped
1/3 cup grated fresh Coconut
3-4 Green chillies
2 whole Red chillies
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
8-10 Curry leaves
juice of 1/2 lemon(optional)
a pinch of Asafoetida
salt to taste
2 tsp Oil
- Steam chopped beetroot pieces with few pinches of salt either in pressure cooker(without whistle) or steamer for 8-10 mins.You can even microwave them on HIGH for 4-5 mins.Strain them and keep aside.
- Heat a spoon of oil in a pan/kadai and crackle mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add asafoetida,chana dal,urad dal,red chillies and curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Grind grated coconut with green chillies and salt to a coarse masala.It should not become a paste,it should be like just roughly coarse ground masala.
- Add cooked and strained beetroot pieces and stir fry for 2 mins.
- Now add ground coconut-green chili masala and fry for another minute or two.
- Switch off the flame and add lemon juice and give a stir.
Serve it with rice,dal/rasam/sambar and papad.
- You can follow the same process for vegetables like carrots,beans-carrot,raw banana,cluster beans,yard long beans,cauliflower etc.
- You can skip the steaming part and can make with the vegetables like ladies finger,cabbage etc.You need to saute them well for 7-8 mins before adding ground coconut masala.
- You can add red chili powder instead of green chillies,it would slightly change in color.
- You can add 1 tbsp kurala podi along with the ground coconut masala to the stir fry,in that case reduce the amount of green chillies to 2 in the recipe.This gives a nice taste to curry.
- If you want you can add finely chopped onion to the pan and saute well and then proceed with adding chopped beetroot pieces and ground masala.