1 cup(250 ml) Fresh full fat Cream(I used Amul)
1 cup(250 ml) Full cream Milk
1/2 cup Sugar
1 Vanilla Bean or 2 tsp Vanilla extract
5gms(2 tsp) Agar-Agar/China grass (or 1 tsp Gelatine)
2-3 tbsp Water
- Slightly grease the molds with oil or immerse them in cold water and keep the molds ready which you would like to serve the pudding in.
- If you are using china grass sheets, cut them into tiny pieces and soak them in 1/3 cup water for half an hour.If you are using gelatine or agar agar powder just mix the powder in 2 tbsp HOT water.
- In a thick pot add milk and cream together and bring the mixture to a boil on low flame.
- Add sugar to it and also scraped Vanilla pod to the mixture and mix well until the sugar dissolves.
- Cut the scraped vanilla pod into 2-3 pieces and throw it in the pot.
- Meanwhile if you are using china grass,remove the extra water and keep enough water(2-3 tbsp) and boil the china grass mixture by mixing it continuously until the china grass melts and blends into the water.
- Remove the vanilla cream mixture and strain the mixture into a bowl and discard the vanilla beans.
- Add the strained melted china grass(agar-agar or gelatine) mixture and mix well immediately.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared molds and let them come to a room temperature.
- Cover it with cling wrap and keep it refrigerated for a minimum of 5-6 hrs or you can even keep it overnight.
Serve them cold or you can even unmold the pudding and serve it with any berry coulis like strawberry/raspberry/blueberry coulis or even Pomegranate sauce or chocolate sauce.
To prepare berry coulis, you need to blend a cup of berries(any berry like strawberry/raspberry/blueberry/blackberry) to a smooth puree and strain to remove the seeds from them.Add 1 tbsp of Sugar(the sugar quantity depends on the sweetness of berries) and 1/2 tsp lemon juice and simmer for 2-3 minutes and keep the mixture warm.
- It is a basic thumb rule to use 5gms of China grass for half liter of milk and hence I used the same measurements even for Pannacotta and I got really soft,silky and smooth dessert.
- You can increase the amount of cream by another half cup( 1 and 1/2 cups in total) and reduce the milk to 1/2 cup in the recipe.I always prefer 1:1 portion as I feel that itself is rich enough for us.You can replace the milk with the cream totally in the recipe if you wish.
- Do not add melted china grass mixture to the cream mixture when it is boiling,this might curdle the mixture.It is always advised to add it only after it is removed from the stove.Always strain the china grass mixture as they contain small particles of undissolved china grass in it.
- I strongly recommend the vanilla bean instead of vanilla essence in the recipe as it gives an amazing flavor to the pudding.I love the look of vanilla bean specs in the pudding.
- As I did not have any berries in hand when I prepared this pudding I could not serve with coulis.Hence I served with a kiwi syrup(ready made) and sprinkled some pomegranate kernels to add color.
- If you do not have berries in hand you can even dilute berry fruit jams(like strawberry/raspberry/blueberry) with 2-3 tbsp of water and simmer it for a minute or two and use it as coulis to serve with pannacotta.
Check out the silky soft and smooth texture Pannacotta.I would say that this a heaven in a cup kind of dessert.You will not stop yourself until you finish that bowl and even crave for more.This is a perfect dessert for any party or for a romantic dinner,so try it and enjoy!!