My week long vacation has made me a bit lazy - am still in a holiday mood so have not been too eager to cook any new dishes after coming back. So here is a post that finds its way from my picture folders where I had saved a few pics which I had taken last month- a good time to clear my drafts and get to cook something new later!
Coming to today's recipe, "Curd rice" is a very common south Indian dish prepared in every house hold and is a comfort food for many.One can have curd rice as a meal by itself or as a part of a meal in the end. I find a bowl of curd rice always comforting especially during summers.I usually make curd rice very simple if I make it on usual days and try to make it slightly rich when I prepare it for an occasion or a party.Few additions like butter and cream will make the curd rice really rich and tasty.Do go through the recipe and notes and opt the method which is convenient for you.
Curd Rice | Daddojanam Recipe:
1 cup normal Raw rice(Sona masuri or equivalent)
1 1/3 cup whole Milk
1/2 cup fresh thick Curd
1 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp cream
1/4 cup Pomegranate kernels
2 tbsp chopped Coriander
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Oil
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal
1 tbsp Chana dal
a pinch of Asafoetida(optional)
6-8 Cashew nuts,cut into halves
a sprig of Curry leaves
4-5 Green chillies,slit
- Wash and soak raw rice for 15-20 mins and add 3 cups of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles.Let the pressure drops off automaticlaly.
- Meanwhile boil the milk and keep it warm.
- Once the rice comes to luke warm temperature transfer it into a wide bowl and slightly mash it with the back of the ladle.
- Add warm milk and butter to the rice and mix well.
- Heat oil in a small pan and crackle mustard seeds and add chana dal,urad dal and cashew nuts and fry until they turn golden in color.
- Add asafoetida,slit green chillies,grated ginger and curry leaves and fry well.Let the tempering cool down to room temperature.
- Add curd,salt,pomegranate kernels,chopped coriander to the rice mixture and mix well.
- Add the tempering to the curd rice and mix well and keep the rice aside for 1/2 hr to 1 hr.This standing time will set the curd rice nicely.If you want to serve it later its better to refrigerate after an hour until the serving time
Serve it as a part of meal or as a meal by itself.Serve it with curd chillies and lemon or mango pickle.
- If you like curd rice little soft,slightly mash the rice while it is still warm.
- Add warm milk and butter to the rice while it is still warm.
- If you intend to serve curd rice later after few hours add curd just an hour to the milk-rice mixture before serving.Also refrigerate if needed.
- You can add grated carrots or chopped cucumber pieces or chopped raw mango pieces to curd rice.
- You can replace pomegranate kernels with chopped green grapes or black grapes to the curd rice.
- Raisins can be added in the tempering along with cashew nuts to the curd rice.