The preparation process of most of the sundal varieties is very similar.While few varieties taste best when made simple with seasoning and coconut and few taste with an addition of ginger in the coconut paste and few varieties are made with sundal masala. Today's recipe - Moong dal Sundal falls in first category - it tastes best when made simple with seasoning and coconut. I would say that this is the most easiest sundal and takes very less time to prepare as moong dal cooks really fast.
Check out other sundal recipes in my blog:
- Alasandula(Lobia) Sundal, Rajma Sundal
- Chana Dal Sundal , Kala Chana Sundal
- Groundnut (Peanut) Sundal,Mixed Bean Sundal
- Kabuli Chana Sundal, Sweet Corn Sundal
- Ammini Kozhukattai (Undrallu Guggillu)
For a complete list of Navaratri recipes, Check Here.
Serves 3-4 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Total time: 15 mins
Cuisine: South Indian | Category: Snacks
1/2 cup Moong dal
3-4 tbsp grated fresh Coconut
a pinch of Turmeric
Salt to taste
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
a sprig of Curry leaves
2-3 Red chillies, broken
a pinch of Asafoetida
1 tbsp Oil
- One can follow any of these methods to prepare moong dal.You can dry roast it a bit until it is warm and cook or you can soak in water for sometime and then cook.Both ways it work fine,do it as per your convenience.
- Boil water in a vessel with some salt,turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp oil and once it comes to a boil add moong dal(roasted or soaked) and cook it for 4-5 mins.Keep stirring it in between so that they don't stick to the bottom of the vessel. Try to cook moong dal until it is just cooked which means soft to bite but it should still hold its shape and not become mushy.Drain the moong dal into the colander.
- In a kadai heat oil and crackle mustard seeds and add urad dal, red chillies and curry leaves and fry until the dal turn slightly brown.
- Add asafoetida and then add drained cooked moong dal and give a gentle stir and cook for 1 min.
- Add salt and grated coconut and mix it gently and switch off the flame.Cover it with a lid and leave it undisturbed for 5 mins. This will help moong dal to fluff up nicely.
Serve it in bowls- warm or at room temperature.
- One can follow any of these methods to prepare moong dal.You can dry roast it a bit until it is warm and cook or you can soak in water for an hour and then cook.Both ways it work fine,do it as per your convenience.
- As the dal gets cooked fast,make sure you do not over cook the moong dal. Even if it is bit under cooked it is fine, the steaming process at the end will let it cook completely.
- You can follow the same process of chana dal sundal by replacing moong dal with chana dal.