There was a Diwali party in my kiddo's school last week where we were also allowed to bring sweets and snacks to share with others. I have been wanting to prepare this Maida burfi from a very long time and this occasion gave me an opportunity to try this.I have followed the recipe from Mallika Badrinath book just that I have added Tutti frutti to the recipe and also flavored it with Vanilla essence instead of Cardamom powder. Not only that tutti frutti is a hit among the kids but also the addition of it added a nice look to the burfi too.If you wish to make it colorful you can add few drops of your favorite color and make it colorful too.
Check out other Diwali sweets recipes on my blog:
- 7 cups Burfi | 7 cups Cake
- Coconut Choco Truffles
- Coconut Burfi/Koprapak/Kobbari Mithai
- Gulab Jamun recipe using milk powder
- Karjikai | Kajjikayalu | Kadubu | Karanji
- Kesar Peda
- Khoya Jamun | Gulab Jamun using Khoya
- Kobbari Louz | Coconut Ladoo | Nariyal Ladoo
- Moong Dal Ladoo | Pesara Sunnunda
- Sweet Diamond Cuts | Sweet Maida Biscuits
Yields: 12 pieces | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 15 mins | Total time: 20 mins
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Sweets
1/2 cup Maida
3/4 cup + 3 tbsp Sugar
1/2 cup Water
1/4 cup Ghee
2 tbsp Tutti Frutti
1/4 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Grease a square pan or plate(with edges) with ghee and keep it ready.You can line it with butter paper and keep it ready.
- In a pan heat ghee until it is really hot and reduce the flame and add maida and fry it nicely until you get nice aroma without changing its color.It will need 3-4 mins approximately.Let it cool a bit.
- Meanwhile add sugar and water to a thick pan/kadai and let the sugar melt completely.Boil the syrup rapidly in medium flame without stirring much and let it reach ONE string consistency.
- To test the consistency of the syrup - put little syup in a vessel containing water,the syrup should stay without spreading in water. OR dip your fingers in water to avoid burning and touch the back of the ladle using forefinger and press it with thumb.When you try to separate the fingers you can see a single string formation which indicates the correct consistency.
- Add Maida and vanilla essence to it and SWITCH OFF the flame. This is very important step and you need to cook it now with out flame.You can even remove the pot from the stove.
- Now stir it briskly and quickly till it blends and form a uniform mixture by breaking up any lumps.
- Once the mixture becomes smooth enough add tutti frutti and keep stirring until the mixture thickens nicely and starts leaving the pan which indicates that it is ready.
- Quickly transfer the mixture to the lined/greased pan and quickly spread it to 1 cm thickness by using a greased cup or ladle.Keep another piece of butter paper or greased zip lock cover and level it nicely.You should do this process very quickly as the burfi hardens very quickly.
- Leave it aside for sometime and cut into squares while the mixture is still warm.
Store them in an airtight container for upto a week under room temperature.
- You can add Cardamom powder instead of vanilla essence in the recipe.
- The most important step in the recipe is SINGLE thread consistency of the sugar syrup, do not miss it.If it is crossed the single thread consistency the burfis will become brittle.If you remove it before the single thread consistency the mixture will not thicken on stirring.So please do not miss the single thread consistency.
- I don't use food colors and hence I did not add any color.If you like you can add yellow or green or orange color to it.
- I have kept it white and hence used tutti frutti for colorful burfis.You can use finely chopped cashew nuts instead.
- You can even top it with slivered almonds or pistachios while levelling the burfi, even that looks nice.
- You can increase the sugar quantity to 1 cup if you want it very sweet.For me the said quantity was right enough.