I have not blogged many Thai recipes in my blog so far but intend to post a couple of them very soon.
If you are interested you can check my Spicy Thai Basil Fried Rice recipe.
Thai Veg Green Curry Recipe :
Serves 2-3 | Author: Prathibha
Serves 2-3 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 15 mins | Cooking time: 30 mins | Total time: 45 mins
Cuisine: Thai- Vegetarian | Category: Mains/Side dish for Rice
1 medium Carrot,peeled and cut into sticks
1/2 small Broccoli, cut into florets
1 big Potato, peeled and cut into sticks
3-4" Piece Red Pumpkin, cut into sticks
7-8 French beans, cut into 1.5" pieces
4-5 Babycorns, cut diagonally
1/2 Green Capsicum, cut into thin strips
1/2 Red Bell Pepper, cut into thin strips
Mushrooms/Tofu, according to your preference
1 cup thick Coconut Milk
2 tbsp homemade Veg Thai Green Curry paste, recipe follows
2" Lemongrass stalk, cut into pieces
3-4 Kaffir lime leaves
4-5 Thai Basil leaves
1.5 cups Vegetable broth/Water
1 tsp Sugar
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Oil
for Green curry Paste:
2 Lemon grass stalks, white part only
3/4 " Galangal/Thai Ginger
3-4 Kaffir leaves
2-3 Thai Green Chillies
2 Garlic Pods
1/3 cup Coriander leaves
1.5 tsp Coriander seeds
1 tsp Cumin seeds
4-5 Pepper Corns
Zest of a Lemon, 1/2 tsp Lemon zest
2 tsp Light Soya Sauce
- to prepare green curry paste:Grind coriander seeds, cumin seeds and pepper corns,cut lemon grass stalk, galangal, kaffir leaves, thai green chillies, shallots, garlic pods, coriander leaves, lemon zest and soya sauce to a coarse paste.
- Boil water in a bowl and add all the vegetables(apart from bell peppers) and cook them until they are 80% done.Strain the vegetables and reserve the water for the gravy. You can even boil the vegetables in thin coconut milk if you make it at home or dilute the canned one with water and used it for boiling.
- Heat oil in a kadai and add green curry paste and fry for a couple of minutes. Add sliced bell peppers and fry for 2-3 mins and then add chopped lemon grass stalks and drained vegetables and fry for a couple of mins.
- Add strained water and required amount of salt and let it come to a boil.
- Now add thick coconut milk and simmer it for 5 mins.Add thai basil and kaffir lime leaves and boil for 1-2 mins and switch off the flame.
Serve it with hot Jasmine Rice / Plain White Rice / Plain Noodles/Coconut Rice/Spicy Thai Basil Fried Rice.
- The addition of vegetables is completely your choice. You can add cauliflower, tofu, mushrooms, zucchini etc according to your choice. But I recommend you to use broccoli, carrot, beans, potato as base vegetables and add the rest according to the availability.
- The usage of lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal ,thai chillies is mandatory for the recipe. But in case you do not find them you can use ginger in place of galangal, regular green chillies and lime zest in place of kaffir lime leaves and omit lemon grass. But the taste of the resultant paste is completely different in taste and aroma from the authentic one.
- You can adjust the curry according to your taste buds. It should be sweet,spicy and sour at the same time. Adjust the chillies, soya sauce and amount of coconut milk accordingly.
- You can boil the vegetables in thin coconut milk instead of water or vegetable broth.
- If you are adding tofu I suggest you to add while the gravy is simmering rather than in the beginning otherwise tofu tends to break.
- You can even prepare fresh coconut milk at home and use it in the recipe.