Serves 3-4 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine : Maharasthra | Category: Side dish for Rice
1 cup Toor dal/ Arhar dal
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
1.5-2 cups of water
Salt, to taste
few Coriander leaves, to garnish
Lemon wedge,to serve
1 tbsp Ghee/Oil
1 tsp Cumin seeds
2-3 Green chillies,slit
6-7 Curry leaves
1/4 tsp Asafoetida/Hing
2 cups Rice(raw ponni or Sona masuri Rice)
4- 4.5 cups Water
- Wash and soak the toor dal in enough water for 15 mins. Add turmeric powder and pressure cook it for 3-4 whistles.
- Once the pressure drops remove the extra water(if any) and mash it nicely using a wooden ladle.
- In a small pan heat ghee/oil and crackle cumin seeds and add slit green chillies, curry leaves ad hing and fry until done and add dal to it and let it boil for 3-4 mins.
- Add coriander leaves to the dal.
- Wash the rice a couple of times and soak it in water for half an hour. Drain the water and add 4-4.5 cups of water.Pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- I usually do it in rice cooker then I add 2.5 cups of water for 1 glass of rice. If you are doing it in pressure cooker you can add 4 cups of water (for 2 cups rice) if you want separate grains of the rice.If you want it soft add 4.5 cups for 2 cups of rice.
Serve the varan with piping hot steamed rice with a dollop of ghee and a lemon wedge.You can serve a simple vegetable fry or pickle and papad along with it.
- If you want you can add tomatoes while cooking the toor dal.
- You can add garlic in the tempering if you want. But if you are preparing for naivedyam skip garlic in it.
- Instead of green chilli you can add red chili or red chili powder in tempering.
- You can add mustard seeds in the tempering.
- Few versions of varan has coconut in it.You can add either ground coconut paste while simmering the dal or add grated coconut at the end.
- You can even use basmati rice for bhaat, in that case add 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.