akki rotti,halwa, kheer and TH does not object to these various varieties apart from the bottle gourd curry where bottle gourd is used in its own form. I am totally opposite to him when it comes to food, I usually do not complain about any food variety as long as it is vegetarian and I always love to try something new.
Check out other Bottle gourd Recipes in my blog:
Serves 2 | Author: Prathibha
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 25 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: Andhra | Category: Side dish
3 cups small size diced Bottle gourd
1 Onion, roughly chopped
3 Green Chilies, slit
1 cup Milk
a sprig of Curry leaves
1 tbsp Coriander leaves, finely chopped
1-2 Red chilies
1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
2 tsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1.5 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds.Add urad dal and chana dal and fry until they turn slight red in color.
- Add Red chilies , green chilies and curry leaves and fry them until the green chilies start to wilt.
- Add chopped onion and fry until the onion become slightly translucent. Add chopped bottle gourd at this stage and fry for a couple of mins.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and 1/4 cup of water and cover it and cook until the bottle gourd is done. It takes approximately 15-20 mins.
- Once bottle gourd is cooked add milk slowly and mix it immediately and cook for 2-3mins on low flame. You don't need to wait for milk to start bubbling, it might curdle.
- Garnish with coriander.
Serve it hot with Rice | Chapathi | Puri.
- You can add 4-5 garlic pods in tempering. It adds a nice flavor to the curry.
- Adjust the spiciness of the curry by adding more green chillies if you need. The spiciness reduces because of the addition of milk.
- I recommend to use green chillies instead of red chili powder in the recipe.It tastes best when green chilies are added.
- You can make Ridge gourd curry(Beerakaya palu posina kura) in the same way.
- The milk gets absorbed as the curry sits for long. If needed add a couple of table spoons of milk before serving or add milk to the curry and cook only before serving.
Technorati Tags: sorakaya palu posina kura, bottle gourd curry, anapakaya pala kura, andhra recipes, south indian recipes, easy side dishes, side dish for rotis, side dish for rice