A simple dry curry or a vegetable fry, along with dal or sambar and rasam makes a perfect south Indian meal for me any day. As DH is not very fond of few vegetables like bottlegourd, ridge gourd and few other varieties, I usually end up making them for lunch.During my Postnatal period, my mom used to prepare this bottlegourd curry with telagapindi a lot as it aids in good production of milk for new mothers.Telagapindi is basically the residual powder after the process of extraction of oil from sesame seeds and it is a good source for the increase of milk production for the new moms in their postnatal period.In case if you do not have it you can even use sesame seed powder or totally avoid both, still this curry tastes nice.
Check out other Andhra style Curry recipes here:
- Aratikaya Aava pettina Kura
- Cabbage Pesarapappu(moong dal) Dry Curry
- Chikkudukaya(Broadbeans) Curry
- Kakarakaya Ullipaya Vepudu | Bittergourd Onion Fry
- Pacchi(Raw) Tomato Kura
- Potlakaya(Snake gourd) Kobbari Kura
- Thotakura Pesarapappu Podi Kura/Amaranth-Moong dal Curry
Sorakaya Telagapindi Kura Recipe:
Prep time: 10 mins | Cooking time: 20 mins | Total time: 30 mins
Cuisine: Andhra - Indian | Category: Side dish
3 cups peeled and diced tender Bottlegourd
1 large Onion, finely chopped
2 tsp Garlic Chili powder
2 tbsp Telagapindi or 1 tbsp Sesame seed powder(optional)
1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 tbsp Chana dal
1 tsp Urad dal
1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
1 red chilli, broken
a sprig of Curry leaves
1 1/2 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a kadai and crackle mustard seeds.Add chana dal and urad dal and fry until the dals turn red in color.
- Now add red chili,curry leaves and fry until the leaves wilt.
- Add finely chopped onion and fry until they become translucent.
- Add the chopped bottle gourd and haldi and fry for 2 mins.Sprinkle little water and cover it and cook and until it is properly cooked.
- Add garlic chili powder, salt and telagapindi(or sesame seed powder) and mix it nicely and cover it and cook for 2-3 mins.
Serve it hot with rice/roti/chapati.
- The addition of telagapindi or sesame seed powder is optional,but it adds to the taste.
- If you do not have garlic chili powder, just add red chili powder.
- You can replace bottle gourd with ridge gourd or raw papaya and follow the same process.