Preparing low fat snacks is a weekly affair for me so that I can pack for DH's snack box and also for me to munch them along with my cuppa. Peanuts are high in protein and other nutrients and also helps to promote some good cholesterol in the body and hence I include them in moderate amounts in our regular diet. But I look for low fat options instead of high calories stuff and hence I prepare Congress Kadlekai (spicy peanuts) and these Masala Peanuts in Microwave. Masala Peanuts are usually deep fried but trust me if you try these low fat microwave peanuts you would not miss those deep fried peanuts any more.
This recipe is not very different from the deep fried version and I am following the same from many years. Usually I used to eye ball the ingredients for this and as I wanted to post the recipe in my space I did some search and landed on Tarla Dalal's site and tried to follow the measurements for better idea and the measurements were just perfect.
If you are in search of low fat snacks. Check out other low fat snack recipes here.
Microwave Low Fat Masala Peanuts Recipe:
Shelf life: 1-2 weeks
Prep time: 5 mins | Cooking time: 10 mins | Total time: 15 mins
Cuisine: Indian | Category: Snacks/Tea time Snacks
1 cup Groundnuts
1 cup Chickpea flour(Besan)
3/4 tsp Carom seeds(Ajwain)
a pinch of Asafoetida (optional)
1/4 cup Water,approximately
1 tsp Red chili powder
2-3 tbsp Oil
Salt to taste
- In a bowl add ground nuts, chickpea flour, salt, asafoetida, red chili powder and carom seeds and mix everything nicely.
- Add oil and water and mix nicely.Do not add water at once, add water slowly so that the batter coats the groundnuts evenly.If needed add 1-2 tbsp more of water but you should not make the batter thin,the ground nuts should hold the batter.
- Cut a wax paper(butter paper) to the size of the glass plate in Microwave.
- Drop the peanuts into small clusters leaving some space in between them. You should not allow each cluster to have more than 3-4 peanuts otherwise the peanuts would not get cooked evenly and also do not clutter them and do it in small batches. The quantity I mentioned should be done in 2-3 batches based on the size of your microwave.
- Microwave it on HIGH for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes and keep an eye after 1 1/2 mins so that they would not burn. Check by tasting 1 cluster(peanut), if you feel it is still raw microwave it again for a minute or two. It might take any time in between 2-4 mins based on the power of microwave.
- Remove the wax paper from MW and remove the peanuts from it. Let the peanuts cool completely. Repeat the same process for the rest of the peanuts and microwave them and cool them completely.
Store the peanuts in an air tight container and serve them with a cup of tea/coffee.
- I suggest you to do it in small batches, if they are cluttered there might be chances that few peanuts would remain raw in the centre.
- When you mix in the peanuts to the chickpea flour, you might feel that the chickpea flour quantity is more, but this quantity is good enough to coat the ground nuts. Once you mix if you feel the batter is more add 2-3 tbsp peanuts and mix again.
- As the power varies from microwave to microwave, the cooking time differs. So keep an eye on them and use your judgement and take care that they would not get burnt.
- You can add garam masala for an extra flavor if you want.
- You can add amchur powder to it if you like it slightly tangy.
Also check out the wide collection of Diwali Sweets Recipes , Diwali snacks Recipes and Payasam/Kheer Varieties.
Technorati Tags: masala peanuts, masala groundnuts recipe, masala kadale, spicy masala peanuts ,microwave masala peanuts recipe, diwali savouries, deepavali recipes, low fat snacks recipes, snacks with ground nuts, easy snacks recipes for diwali, healthy snacks, diwali snacks